Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    DrDingo
    Recently, I'd been experimenting with Google Hangouts with a few other people, and I was surprised to see how much faster it runs. Plus you can do group video calls without paying any money. It has loads of little extra features, including little webcam effect widgets to download. And you can also share audio when you share screens.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Have you considered Pidgin with the Steam Mobile plugin? I have it set up, and I need to get using it! Said I'd add Pachi and Tosh ages ago, hope they dont think I forgot :s
    My problem with Pidgin is that they never even really tried supporting Skype, and what's more, the client's pretty bad, crashes a lot and has bad IRC support. I also can't use it on OS X or iOS/Android, which I can with Trillian (complete with synced chat logs).

Do people run their skype on a potato?
    I've never had any issues with the pc version of it.

Phone version fucks me over frequently though.
    That is an atrcious little shit.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Phone version fucks me over frequently though.
    That is an atrcious little shit.
    The hilarious thing is that I haven't personally noticed any lag problems on my PC or Mac, but on my iPhone 5S Skype brings it to a fucking crawl. Like it actually legitimately freezes it from time to time when there's enough push notifications. Which isn't hard to do if you hop on your computer and have a conversation with someone because Skype doesn't bother checking to see if you're active somewhere else before sending push messages to your phone.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    My problem with Pidgin is that they never even really tried supporting Skype, and what's more, the client's pretty bad, crashes a lot and has bad IRC support. I also can't use it on OS X or iOS/Android, which I can with Trillian (complete with synced chat logs).
    So would you recommend Trillian for everything? If it's better I'm always willing to change.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Do people run their skype on a potato?
    Yes, everything is run on potato here. Problem? I throw potato at you >:v

Weasyl
    Runefox
    So would you recommend Trillian for everything? If it's better I'm always willing to change.
    Yes and no. Yes Trillian is pretty sweet and it keeps track of all your conversations everywhere and supports a lot of stuff but no, it's not well supported and the current versions crash all the damn time on PC and Mac. Only the Windows version supports Skype and then there's a problem with the latest version and Windows 8.1 where Skype doesn't connect. Also, it's not likely that any third party program will work with Skype in the future because Microsoft are miserable and shut the API down.

Yes, everything is run on potato here. Problem? I throw potato at you >:v
    >Insert Irish joke here

Weasyl
    N/A
    Yes and no. Yes Trillian is pretty sweet and it keeps track of all your conversations everywhere and supports a lot of stuff but no, it's not well supported and the current versions crash all the damn time on PC and Mac. Only the Windows version supports Skype and then there's a problem with the latest version and Windows 8.1 where Skype doesn't connect. Also, it's not likely that any third party program will work with Skype in the future because Microsoft are miserable and shut the API down.
    Hmm, unfortunate. It's attitudes like that make me destest Microsoft. Seems the only thing they can do right are email and cloud storage these days.

>Insert Irish joke here
    lemme dunk my potato in yer syrup

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Hmm, unfortunate. It's attitudes like that make me destest Microsoft. Seems the only thing they can do right are email and cloud storage these days.
    Well, their game consoles tend to be pretty popular too. Douchebag McGee left for Zynga and since then they backpedaled on everything terrible they originally came out with for the Xbox One, so I'd say Microsoft is less to blame for that than he was as a terrible brand manager. Microsoft seems to be entirely incapable of producing effective advertising though. In fact, this turd is showing up on the TV channels I watch:

lemme dunk my potato in yer syrup
    o bby <3

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Skype has been a decent program for me, overall. I liked it better when there were no ads though.

I can say I have had a strange issue with it for the last few months. Sometimes the program will just crash for seemingly no reason, all on its own while nothing is going on.

Stranger yet, sometimes (not always) clicking the Change Profile Picture will cause it to crash. Occasionally attempting to change my name will cause this as well.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    My computer handles Skype like it's nothing, so I have zero problems.