Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 174

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

  1. #21
    Junior DrDingo's Avatar
    Weasyl
    DrDingo
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Recently, I'd been experimenting with Google Hangouts with a few other people, and I was surprised to see how much faster it runs. Plus you can do group video calls without paying any money. It has loads of little extra features, including little webcam effect widgets to download. And you can also share audio when you share screens.

  2. #22
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Have you considered Pidgin with the Steam Mobile plugin? I have it set up, and I need to get using it! Said I'd add Pachi and Tosh ages ago, hope they dont think I forgot :s
    My problem with Pidgin is that they never even really tried supporting Skype, and what's more, the client's pretty bad, crashes a lot and has bad IRC support. I also can't use it on OS X or iOS/Android, which I can with Trillian (complete with synced chat logs).

  3. #23
    Senior SirCoffeecup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The cold north
    Posts
    903
    Do people run their skype on a potato?
    I've never had any issues with the pc version of it.

    Phone version fucks me over frequently though.
    That is an atrcious little shit.

  4. #24
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Phone version fucks me over frequently though.
    That is an atrcious little shit.
    The hilarious thing is that I haven't personally noticed any lag problems on my PC or Mac, but on my iPhone 5S Skype brings it to a fucking crawl. Like it actually legitimately freezes it from time to time when there's enough push notifications. Which isn't hard to do if you hop on your computer and have a conversation with someone because Skype doesn't bother checking to see if you're active somewhere else before sending push messages to your phone.

  5. #25
    Premium User Krespo's Avatar


    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    My problem with Pidgin is that they never even really tried supporting Skype, and what's more, the client's pretty bad, crashes a lot and has bad IRC support. I also can't use it on OS X or iOS/Android, which I can with Trillian (complete with synced chat logs).
    So would you recommend Trillian for everything? If it's better I'm always willing to change.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Do people run their skype on a potato?
    Yes, everything is run on potato here. Problem? I throw potato at you >:v

  6. #26
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    So would you recommend Trillian for everything? If it's better I'm always willing to change.
    Yes and no. Yes Trillian is pretty sweet and it keeps track of all your conversations everywhere and supports a lot of stuff but no, it's not well supported and the current versions crash all the damn time on PC and Mac. Only the Windows version supports Skype and then there's a problem with the latest version and Windows 8.1 where Skype doesn't connect. Also, it's not likely that any third party program will work with Skype in the future because Microsoft are miserable and shut the API down.

    Yes, everything is run on potato here. Problem? I throw potato at you >:v
    >Insert Irish joke here

  7. #27
    Premium User Krespo's Avatar


    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Yes and no. Yes Trillian is pretty sweet and it keeps track of all your conversations everywhere and supports a lot of stuff but no, it's not well supported and the current versions crash all the damn time on PC and Mac. Only the Windows version supports Skype and then there's a problem with the latest version and Windows 8.1 where Skype doesn't connect. Also, it's not likely that any third party program will work with Skype in the future because Microsoft are miserable and shut the API down.
    Hmm, unfortunate. It's attitudes like that make me destest Microsoft. Seems the only thing they can do right are email and cloud storage these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    >Insert Irish joke here
    lemme dunk my potato in yer syrup

  8. #28
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Hmm, unfortunate. It's attitudes like that make me destest Microsoft. Seems the only thing they can do right are email and cloud storage these days.
    Well, their game consoles tend to be pretty popular too. Douchebag McGee left for Zynga and since then they backpedaled on everything terrible they originally came out with for the Xbox One, so I'd say Microsoft is less to blame for that than he was as a terrible brand manager. Microsoft seems to be entirely incapable of producing effective advertising though. In fact, this turd is showing up on the TV channels I watch:



    lemme dunk my potato in yer syrup
    o bby <3

  9. #29
    Senior Rilvor's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alteir
    Posts
    1,199
    Skype has been a decent program for me, overall. I liked it better when there were no ads though.

    I can say I have had a strange issue with it for the last few months. Sometimes the program will just crash for seemingly no reason, all on its own while nothing is going on.

    Stranger yet, sometimes (not always) clicking the Change Profile Picture will cause it to crash. Occasionally attempting to change my name will cause this as well.

  10. #30
    That's me! Hewge's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Hewge
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,364
    My computer handles Skype like it's nothing, so I have zero problems.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •