Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Huh, I've never had any problems with it at all, and I've run it on three different computers; one was a laptop with Windows XP and the other was an aged dinosaur of a computer that barely handled most things (save for Skype and IRC, ironically). Makes me wonder just what exactly it is that creates these problems, because even though I've never had issues, I know at least three other individuals that do, so...

Weasyl
    Sutekh_the_Steak
    I've never had any problems with Skype on my laptop, at all. The only time it lags is when it loads the previous night's 1000+ posts from the chat group I'm in, but that only happens for about a minute or two at most.

Group calls can be frustratingly glitchy sometimes, though.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Actually, the Skype "lag" problem is a pretty widely reported one. One workaround is to completely uninstall Skype and then install this special version. Not sure what's so special about it, but this one apparently doesn't have the problem.

That said, I kind of agree, I preferred to use Trillian for all my IM needs. Unfortunately for me, Skypekit doesn't seem to work correctly (and Skype is killing access to their API, anyway). It seems like people are using Skype primarily because Windows Live Messenger pretty much just rolled over to it when it died.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Everybody

Use Steam

It's better k?

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Steam actually has a pretty poorly-done and very basic chatting system.

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    I always had that issue when I used Skype in Wins7, but I've had no issues with Skype lag since I moved to a different OS

Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Literally every computer I've worked on could run Skype flawlessly, you must be on a Commodore 64 with dial-up Internet.
    I don't know what's more lame, that joke or the fact I Googled "Commodore 64 internet capabilities" and read a YahooAnswers page just to confirm what I kinda already knew, which is that it has none and, thus, this is a shitty joke.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    My hardware has no trouble with skype, but I've numerous other troubles. On Windows, it randomly cycles through status updates; so sometimes I'll see the same contact's status pop up 5 times on the list... or even one from months ago will randomly resurface. On Mint 15 and 16, it crashes whenever I try to voice/video chat. On Mint 16 it's also developed a knack for spontaneously locking up and necessitating a "kill -9." On all platforms it uses an absurd amount of RAM and an absurd amount of bandwidth.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    Everybody

Use Steam

It's better k?
    The only major issue I have with Steam as a chat client (and it is pretty major) is that there's no chat history. It gives you a little bit of scrollback on the last conversation, but there's no way to go back and search through chat logs. For me, that's a huge issue because my memory is pretty atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    I don't know what's more lame, that joke or the fact I Googled "Commodore 64 internet capabilities" and read a YahooAnswers page just to confirm what I kinda already knew, which is that it has none and, thus, this is a shitty joke.
    Well there were modems and online services for it but the joke is still pretty bad.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    The only major issue I have with Steam as a chat client (and it is pretty major) is that there's no chat history. It gives you a little bit of scrollback on the last conversation, but there's no way to go back and search through chat logs. For me, that's a huge issue because my memory is pretty atrocious.
    Have you considered Pidgin with the Steam Mobile plugin? I have it set up, and I need to get using it! Said I'd add Pachi and Tosh ages ago, hope they dont think I forgot :s

As for Skype, I do despise it. But it's so necessary to talk to my friends and loved ones! It wouldn't be so bad if I could use a different client, but with Skype I'm pretty much forced to use it. I dont like being forced into something like that. And my latest install has given me nothing but the most extreme lag, and occasionally it freezes my laptop.