Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    Sireux
    Skype may lag and freeze for you due to an overload of message history loading up, if you're starting it up for a first time after a while, or if possibly after clearing everything off your computer related to skype, sometimes it may like to open up previous conversations (at least it likes to with me) that haven't been active for months and load up every single message, usually you can help with this problem by deleting and/or leaving the conversations that are not active anymore.
    Personally I prefer skype due to the fact that yes, like you said "EVERYONE" uses it, and it's great for communication with all the wonderful friends I have.

To add more to what I said, Microsoft took over buying skype, it may have been good in some aspects possibly for them adding more updates and bug fixes than the old team did, but they also added more advertisements than normal, which can also add an increase in added lag, what might help is downloading an older version of skype, (not too old, some older versions may not allow you to participate in chats due to the older clients and whatnot.)

I reckon eventually they'll make it better and hopefully fix your problem, til' then you could always try clearing the skype cache, that might help.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Chatlogs are essential, just wiping stuff isn't an option. I also imagine if I started with a fresh skype profile I will get ads and whatnot, it seems that the install over an ancient version seems to have made it so I never see any ads (I had all ads disabled from there). I have most certainly not done anything to remove or reduce ads, and I have yet to see one...

For the moment I am happy with the workaround. 6.0.x actually works, no freezes or anything such unlike the most recent version...

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Mobile Skype is shit. I don't know why they'd offer the option of looking back in your chat history if you get sent back down to the newest post as soon as someone sends you a message. :)

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynnCoyote View Post
    I remember when skype was actually good...

Shitty thing is there are plenty of alternatives, but getting all your contacts to agree on a single alternative is impossible, what with free will and all.

And fuck having every messenger system there is on your machine. That's a shit-ton of shit to keep track of.
    I've been having hard time suggesting Tox to some people as a better Skype alternative :x

http://tox.im/en

Tox offers what Skype does, but free, but on a more secure channel. It's still in Beta development, but what they currently have now is pretty damn good. I've been following their project core on GitHub and they've been working hard at pushing new things into it to make it better. I'd definitely check it out. Honestly… the more people give this a chance, the better people will be more willing to make a change to try something that won't be so shit like the crap Skype has turned into ever since Microsoft took ownership of it.

- - - -

I have to agree with most of the commenters here on the Linux version, I'm an active Linux user who uses it on a daily basis for everything I need. Art, Music, Video (although somewhat limited with editing software for Audio and Video most what you can find are pretty decent from what I've tried), and Gaming, I've never had such a great distro that plays games really well with barely any lag issues like you might get with Windows or Mac, although graphic drivers are a pain in the ass sometimes b/c you could install a new driver and it fucks up something else because it was missing something.

Anyway… the Linux version of Skype when they forced us to 4.3 version was really annoying, they barely put any effort into the Linux versions at all despite how easy it is to code software for Linux, and they only have a 32-bit version for Linux which is shit annoying if you're running a 64-bit system, because it requires you to install additional 32-bit packages to make it work properly with a 64-bit system, if you don't have those 32-bit cross packages installed you'll end up with all sorts of issues like Skype doesn't follow your system's current installed theme properly, or your audio sounds distorted.

On big issue ever since updating to 4.3 version of Skype on Linux is constant freezing and lockups of the software at random times which forces me to kill the applications the hard way and start it back up again. v4.3 has brought freezes and crashes for no apparent reason, after a bit of digging around I found that the memory is being trapped due to a segfault in Skype which would explain the random freezing and lockups of Skype, and the only way of making it work again is by killing Skype. I'd be lucky if I could go a day with it not freezing or crashing.