Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Quote Originally Posted by LauriJ View Post
    What's wrong with Skype? I haven't encountered any problems using it so far.
    The desktop version uses far too much bandwidth and memory. You cannot delete anything. Syncing between devices often results in one of the instances crashing from being overwhelmed. Mobile versions of Skype frequently receive updates that break some part of the app, particularly the calling. The mobile version is continuously dummed down such that you can no longer distinguish between people who are "offline" or "away." Nor can you set yourself to anything other than "online" or "offline." And last I checked it is impossible to set up a group chat on your own for a mobile device, even with the help of a desktop instance, because half of the UI necessary is completely absent.

Oh wow, and here I thought Skype was a bloated piece of hypeware because of how it refused to let you quit when closing the screen and forcing you to actively select "Quit Skype" and then confirming the decision you'd just made.

Now I almost regret updating it, but at least I barely touch it and only use the PC version, and that one on the rarest occasions.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Oh, I forgot about one thing; but Skype never fails to remind me.

The mobile version is also bad about not actually turning off. I can sign out of the application, kill the task, or do both; and I'll sometimes still get notifications. But it's not like I need that battery for anything, yaknow? c:

Weasyl
    N/A
    So apparently I've been online on Skype for like a week+ straight and I didn't even know. Jeez, I hate it with such a huge passion, and I'd switch over to some other msger (like steam) but my friend doesn't want to abandon it. Such garbage, and has been since I've first started using it.

I did find out however that it was the mobile version that had messed my status up, and though there was a chat command to fix it, it's still inconvenient.
    Last edited by Moogle; 07-25-2014 at 02:56 AM.

I've been running Skype of my macbook pro, and I'm not sure if it's my internet connection or not, but it's been frustrating me so much that I'm thinking about quitting. Every time I try getting into a voice chat it drops after about ten minutes, and every time I try to message people it goes into "pending" for a half hour. Sometimes it doesn't even post to the other person. I'd automatically say it's my internet connection, but my internet still works fine whenever it lags like that.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Fuck! They pushed an update to the linux version. I'm scared. ;n;

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    For some reason I'm getting a "the cache has no package named 'skype-bin'" erreur message in Ubuntu. Like, it's still usable and all, but that's the first glaring issue that I've had with the Linux version

Weasyl
    Klavi
    I'd much rather use Trillian, the only reason I use Skype is because afaic Trillian can't sync my Skype group chats. :c
    soundcloud.com/klavierr
    klavierr.tumblr.com

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Skype is no longer working for me at all in Trillian. :\
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    amridgeway
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
    Fuck! They pushed an update to the linux version. I'm scared. ;n;
    Euuuugh, "pushed" is an understatement. It's more like they pushed Linux users into a pit where you're forced to use 4.3.
    Oh, and enjoy that ending of ALSA support.

My distro didn't have PulseAudio installed and I fought for days to get the sound working.