Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    irick
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    The problem with Skype alternatives is that they have to fulfil the following criteria:

• Connect to the Skype network
    • Have more or less the same feature set
    • Be stable enough that it isn't actually more annoying than Skype

To my knowledge, there exists no such beast.
    That's not a Skype alternative. That's a third party Skype client
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    That's not a Skype alternative. That's a third party Skype client
    In that case, a Skype alternative will never take off, because it would require users to migrate from a platform that has the combined user base of MSN/WLM and Skype. You can evangelize XMPP or SIP all you want, it's not going to change the fact that most people use Skype, and it's available on almost literally every platform, including some TV's. Skype's going to be a fact of life for a while, unfortunately. Any Skype alternative will need to be able to talk to Skype clients in order for it to succeed.
    Last edited by Runefox; 02-23-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Weasyl
    irick
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    In that case, a Skype alternative will never take off, because it would require users to migrate from a platform that has the combined user base of MSN/WLM and Skype. You can evangelize XMPP or SIP all you want, it's not going to change the fact that most people use Skype, and it's available on almost literally every platform, including some TV's. Skype's going to be a fact of life for a while, unfortunately. Any Skype alternative will need to be able to talk to Skype clients in order for it to succeed.
    Network effects strengthen a brand, but they are not enough to save it from incompetency. The switching cost of any given platform is weighed against the perceived benefits. Those benefits can be as simple as not being associated with a poorly managed client to having a properly decentralized and properly encrypted communications platform. The consensus in the community currently points to an obvious dissatisfaction with the current state of things.

Historically, being compatible with the competition ensures that you never succeed. If you can help it, you avoid it, unless it's an industry standard. Look at OS/2. No one will stop using Skype if you make your 'competitor' based on using skype (protip, that's not competition, nor an alternative. It's just a thrid party client. There are fundamental problems with the Skype protocol which could not be addressed with just a client re-write.)
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

My friends and I use teamspeak (: And when I meet new people when I'm playing a game, I use raidcall ~
    I don't like skype that much. I feel like it's easy to send rats and viruses through it ;__; and I have jerk friends that do that quite often, just for the giggles. Meh, I don't know. I'm not too knowledgeable about how it functions.

I like using what I'm used to, and teamspeak and raidcall is what I'm used to (:

Weasyl
    Runefox
    If it were true that a competitor to Skype just needs to be different, then XMPP would be the most popular messaging system around. Unfortunately for the world, just because alternatives exist doesn't mean that people will be willing to switch. If all my contacts are using the Skype network, I'm going to have to use the Skype network. If all my contacts are using AIM, I'm going to have to use AIM. The whole point is communication. If you can't communicate, you've failed. It's like saying in order to make a successful telephone, it needs to use its own network. It's not like iOS vs Android where you can still make calls and send texts between the two ecosystems; It's essentially the same problem that's the major reason why videophone didn't take off.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Let's make a Weasyl Skype group gaiz.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Well there is the Weasyl IRC.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Problem with the Weasyl IRC is there's virtually no information on the site about it. No links, no program information.

If anything, Weasyl IRC is but a myth. o:

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    If anything, Weasyl IRC is but a myth. o:
    like the gays :V

Did Weasyl ever get an official IRC group?

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    like the gays :V

Did Weasyl ever get an official IRC group?
    #weasyl on irc.weasyl.com, port 6697 ssl
    Last edited by Runefox; 02-24-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: weasyl probably should have a .org address too but that's not the right address, derp