Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    N/A
    Between all the ads and Skype suddenly not recognising my webcam, I'm done with it. I have Steam for IM and Google Hangouts for calls, I'm set. Ffs Microsoft.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Between all the ads and Skype suddenly not recognising my webcam, I'm done with it. I have Steam for IM and Google Hangouts for calls, I'm set. Ffs Microsoft.
    It'd be great if we could get a Hangouts link in our profiles along with the other IM services.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    It'd be great if we could get a Hangouts link in our profiles along with the other IM services.
    Something for the site suggestions then. Seems like a better deal all around: no client needed, cross-platform (so is Skype, but it's cross-platform shit), and no ads.

I've spent so much time dealing with problems involving Skype lately I barely talk to anyone on it :/

Weasyl
    Ratte
    So I take it that attempting to downgrade to an older version of the PC/computer version of Skype is out of the question? I haven't been experiencing any of these issues and I downgraded to 5.10 about a year ago. The UI for the new Skype was enough for me to not like it.

I got prompts asking me to update but they stopped after a little while and I don't get ads/have promotions turned off. You just had to be sure to also disable auto-updates.

Weasyl
    N/A
    So after talking on Google Hangouts for a while, have to say it's pretty fudgin' good. There's a browser plugin that needed installed, but that's nothing really. I also download the chrome app and it even works outside the browser! I'm impressed. Videochat is good too, though my connection is a bit choppy tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    So I take it that attempting to downgrade to an older version of the PC/computer version of Skype is out of the question? I haven't been experiencing any of these issues and I downgraded to 5.10 about a year ago. The UI for the new Skype was enough for me to not like it.

I got prompts asking me to update but they stopped after a little while and I don't get ads/have promotions turned off. You just had to be sure to also disable auto-updates.
    A few times I tried downgrading, but Skype always updated itself even when I unclicked the auto-update function. Besides, I shouldnt have to downgrade, always thought the point of updating was to get something newer and better.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    A few times I tried downgrading, but Skype always updated itself even when I unclicked the auto-update function. Besides, I shouldnt have to downgrade, always thought the point of updating was to get something newer and better.
    Really? I downgraded and remembered to untick the auto-update and haven't had an issue. I also changed my hosts and used Comodo to block their updater, and so far so good.

Here's some more information: http://community.skype.com/t5/Window...e/td-p/1999473

Of course you shouldn't have to downgrade, I agree wholeheartedly. I do use Skype incredibly often, it's my main messenger, so these fixes were worth it for me. One thing to remember, though, is to make sure to remove ALL traces of the updated Skype or the downgrade will fail pretty hard.

If there's anything that games and electronics have taught me, it's that updating doesn't necessarily equal better product. I'm just throwing out some ideas here, hopefully someone can find these useful. c:

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    Really? I downgraded and remembered to untick the auto-update and haven't had an issue. I also changed my hosts and used Comodo to block their updater, and so far so good.

Here's some more information: http://community.skype.com/t5/Window...e/td-p/1999473

Of course you shouldn't have to downgrade, I agree wholeheartedly. I do use Skype incredibly often, it's my main messenger, so these fixes were worth it for me. One thing to remember, though, is to make sure to remove ALL traces of the updated Skype or the downgrade will fail pretty hard.

If there's anything that games and electronics have taught me, it's that updating doesn't necessarily equal better product. I'm just throwing out some ideas here, hopefully someone can find these useful. c:
    Thanks for the info c:

If I ever have to use Skype, may as well have a pleasant experience. Why do you use version 5.10? Any real difference from the current one? I've read 4.2 is the most popular for some reason.

Weasyl
    Ratte

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I'm using 3.5 here, I cannot say there's any problems...

quite tempted to downgrade now having seen this. old Skype was awesome.