Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    I remember when skype was actually good...

Shitty thing is there are plenty of alternatives, but getting all your contacts to agree on a single alternative is impossible, what with free will and all.

And fuck having every messenger system there is on your machine. That's a shit-ton of shit to keep track of.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh View Post
    Euuuugh, "pushed" is an understatement. It's more like they pushed Linux users into a pit where you're forced to use 4.3.
    Oh, and enjoy that ending of ALSA support.

My distro didn't have PulseAudio installed and I fought for days to get the sound working.
    To be honest, I don't hold Linux audio support against any software... Linux audio is such a nightmare that they almost get kudos from me just for having audio at all. :/

EDIT:
    Oh dear lord now the Windows version is updating. -.-
    Last edited by Saiko; 08-15-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Skype sucks.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Still happily using 3.9.something. But when this version stops working I'm not sure what to do, newer ones are horrific... Not so long ago M$ said they will stop supporting all pre 6.something versions. Hopefully it is like with MSN that is still a thing and works fine just the official client in artificially made not to work. 3.9.x isn't telling/forcing me to update for now, so all's good

Skype is the only thing that isn't really supported in any 3rd party client, all else has plugins or native support in multi-protocol clients such as Miranda IM and Pidgin. I use Miranda IM for MSN, AIM, YIM, ICQ, Gtalk and occasional IRC.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Skype is being ridiculous. I turn off notifications for one chat on my phone and it still sends me notifications. Why even have that button there if it's not going to work? Absolutely ridiculous.
    It's a complete battery hog, killed my battery today while I was out eating.

I agree entirely; "fuck Skype". I can run an open-source client with no ads that does exactly the same thing and doesn't require a stupid amount of memory to do text messaging with transport encryption.

Since the last supported version of Skype was deprecated for the LTS distro I'm currently using, I haven't been arsed to use anything other than IRC and Federation XMPP.

If you think it's worth looking into, go take a look at Jitsi: https://jitsi.org

Weasyl
    Tiido
    ...and microsoft actually fulfilled their promise of dropping older support versions D:

I was forced to use 6.x... holy hell ! My poor laptop....

Most annoying things :
    *Selecting any unfocused Skype window takes 3 seconds for it to appear, CPU at 100% during this time.
    *When typing CPU goes periodically to 100%
    *Everything is ginormous, the compact mode is not compact enough...
    *It is hard to tell if a contact is offline or not in the chat window, only indication is a tiny icon... older version had text in titlebar indicating that, and Miranda IM even shows the times when status changes in the chat window so it is impossible to miss.

But I can live with that for a while, there's too many great people I would want to keep communicating with.

Weasyl
    N/A
    The best part about skype (on mobile) is when I leave the app alone for a week and try to get back on it, only to have it load up all my previous convos and crash a good 3 times before it can finally load properly (let's not forget how it keeps me online 24/7 too, that's always nice). I'm still confused as to why everyone feels the need to stay with it as their main messenger... like, I understand that a majority of people use it, but why? Looks like I'll be moving to steam if this nonsense keeps up.

Personally, I despise Skype.

The mobile app, the desktop app, the Windows 8 metro app- they're all terribly made. I still have friends on Skype, so I'm sort of forced to use it. I use the Windows 8 app on my computer just because it's not nearly as "clunky" as the other iterations of the program.

Now, my PREFERENCE is Google+. G+ Hangouts are the most amazing shit, tbh, and it blows Skype out of the water unless your computer is just complete and utter 'jank'.
    I should probably make a signature.
    *casually rolls over and does nothing*

Weasyl
    FibS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    Seriously, why the hell does everybody use this terrible chat system? What kind of normal fucking chat system uses over 100k of memory?

Whenever I run Skype, everything on my computer just starts to lag and freeze, to the point where it's unusable. When I close SKype, everything starts working fine.

This is a terribly made program, but the problem is EVERYONE uses it. Why?
    I use Skype for only one reason, the same reason everyone is still on piece of crap FurAffinity: because I don't control what program everyone I know uses and the program they use is Skype. Either I use Skype, or I don't talk to anyone. Ever.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Here's a trick to get some older versions run :

*Install latest version.
    *Log and and enable autolog on when skype starts.
    *Now you have a 30 day long certificate stored on your computer in skype profile folder.
    *Install 6.0 or some other older but unsupported version (not sure how far back it can go)
    *It will now be able to log on until the cert runs out, then you have to repeat the process

I use 6.0 because it has no memory leak in it and is actually usable compared to the latest version, at least on XP and 32bit 7. This one remains between 50...100MB RAM while latest bloats up forever, gaining several hundred KBytes every time the window comes to focus D: