Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    Runefox

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #52
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I've had my fair share of problems with skype but I put up with it since I use it everyday for both voice and text communication (I don't do video though). If I'm hosting a call of 8 or more people, some people cannot join the call for no reason whatsoever and we need to have someone else host. Randomly this'll fix itself or not be a problem though. Another annoyance is when calls drop when my friends and I are playing games. Happens once or twice a month. It's odd that it does too, because generally we'll be gaming at the time and when the call drops we're all still playing and the game isn't interrupted at all. Ah well.

Weasyl
    ASTA
    Weird. I've never had major issues with Skype, and my laptop is the very definition of shit.

Though, sometimes Skype will freeze up and drag everything else down with it, so I can see how it's frustrating.

Weasyl
    Sarukai
    The only time I ever have my memory usage close to 100K is when I use Skype to video call as well as voice. That isn't really that much memory compared to how poorly chrome handles web pages. If you are just using it for text you can get Trillian or use IM+ online.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #55
    Weasyl
    Taw

Weasyl
    N/A
    Windows skype is a bloated whore! I just checked on ubuntu, skype is using 65mb of ram. That might jump to 200mb during a video call o:

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #57
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Windows skype is a bloated whore! I just checked on ubuntu, skype is using 65mb of ram. That might jump to 200mb during a video call o:
    I use Ubuntu on my laptop and Skype runs a tad better on it, but not by much. The UI bothers me on it a lot though, haha.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #59
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Yeah I can't complain since Chrome is currently using 1,071,784K right now with 5 tabs open. (I haven't closed it in days though so that probably doesn't help much)

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    I use Ubuntu on my laptop and Skype runs a tad better on it, but not by much. The UI bothers me on it a lot though, haha.
    Agreed, it's not great. Everything's all over the place, and separate windows for everything. But at least it works.