Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fuck Skype

Weasyl
    Shark Bones

Fuck Skype

Seriously, why the hell does everybody use this terrible chat system? What kind of normal fucking chat system uses over 100k of memory?

Whenever I run Skype, everything on my computer just starts to lag and freeze, to the point where it's unusable. When I close SKype, everything starts working fine.

This is a terribly made program, but the problem is EVERYONE uses it. Why?

Weasyl
    Littlerock
    Last edited by Littlerock; 01-07-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: fuken faget

Weasyl
    Maolfunction
    What kind of computer are you running where 100K of memory causes your computer to lock up. My internet browser alone can hit close to 600K if I have more than five tabs open.

Skype is only more intensive because its not just an IM service. It supports phone calls, video calls, more options for contact information and message options. It's running more things than just text messaging so it's not really surprising it's going to need a bit more from your computer. But really, your computer has to be like a toaster if it's having issues running Skype.

Weasyl
    Saga
    Skype does that for me too.
    My computer can handle 100k of busy memory just fine, but skype always make processes slower unless I have it open and am looking at it.

Attention whore skype?

Weasyl
    Percy
    100k of memory isn't much of a problem for my computer. It can handle it fairly well.
    However, skype has its other problems too. It tends to lag for me at times, which gets annoying.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Quote Originally Posted by Maolfunction View Post
    What kind of computer are you running where 100K of memory causes your computer to lock up. My internet browser alone can hit close to 600K if I have more than five tabs open.

Skype is only more intensive because its not just an IM service. It supports phone calls, video calls, more options for contact information and message options. It's running more things than just text messaging so it's not really surprising it's going to need a bit more from your computer. But really, your computer has to be like a toaster if it's having issues running Skype.
    MSN Messenger and AIM both had video capabilities. They never used anywhere near as much memory that Skype uses.

I'm on a very old, crummy computer. I can't afford to let things take up massive amounts of memory, especially when using said memory doesn't seem to even be necessary.

Steam and Firefox work just fine on my computer. However when Skype is up, that's when things get bad.

Weasyl
    Maolfunction
    For those having lag issues, see what version of Skype you're running and if you have a version newer than 6.9, downgrade to that and disable automatic updates.

Weasyl
    Yago
    Yeah, Skype can do that. And boy can it can derp. But it is a fairly stable and common platform.

It'd be like if we invented a better Facebook, it'd just be easier to keep using Facebook because so many people already have those and use them all the time.

There should be some programs that integrate with Skype that aren't actually Skype, that might be easier.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Literally every computer I've worked on could run Skype flawlessly, you must be on a Commodore 64 with dial-up Internet.

But yeah, I used MSN Messenger till it stopped existing in 2010 and got replaced by Windows Live Messenger, which was complete shit and filled to the brim with ads. Then I switched to Trillian and loved it but was forced to switch to Skype when I switched to Windows 8 because Trillian isn't compatible on that. I'd say Skype is good enough. It doesn't look nearly as good as Trillian and I admit it's poorly optimized, but it has some useful features that Trillian doesn't have.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Trillian I find is handy for everything I need except Skype as far as actual messengers are concerned. My laptop can run Skype just fine, as could my really shitty HP laptop from 3+ years ago.

I do, however, use a downgraded version. I really don't like the current version of it, even down to the UI. I use 5.10 if it helps, but you really have to make sure to get rid of auto-updates.