Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    Tango
    ...kill a bunch of idiots on World of Tanks. It's amazing how quickly stress melts away...
    Last edited by Matt; 01-07-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: This is a PG-13 forum. dude. Let's not discuss sex acts.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Weasyl
    Term
    Work stress is mainly generated through my commute rather than what goes on at work (though we have some knuckleheads working with us, but hey, who doesn't?).

Working in NYC brings its own challenges when dealing with the onslaught of people who seemingly make it their business to get in your way as much as possible and make you late to catch a subway train or keep you from making that light so you can get to work on time.

With this in mind it's important to decompress by removing oneself from that environment. Usually I get one day off every once in a while and I just sleep, and then refuse to get out of bed all day. I turn on my Pandora, pop in a game and lose myself for a bit.

Alternatively, I usually get a group of people together and we'll go to the bar to watch a game and try some new beers.

Then of course every few months or so I'll try to schedule a trip somewhere, anywhere, that removes me entirely from work and let's me do a little exploring. Maybe I'll go to the Florida Keys. Maybe I'll head up to Boston. Perhaps make a trip to Montana. Who knows. Odd that trips, which often generate stress, are more relieving for me than anything. Perhaps since its something different from be normal grind.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    I just do the logical thing.

Shut down and have a panic attack.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post

That is what I do a lot too. :I

When that happens, the rest of my day is pretty much shot anyway (unless I need to be periodically hyperventilating for no reason), so I just end up taking anti-anxiety medication and sleeping.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    You guys ever tried achieving inner peace?

That's what I'm currently trying to avoid, though that's usually my "preferred" method of coping.
    That or putting things off because of passive fear of failure. It's a bit like a self-fulfilling prediction of doom, really.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    That is what I do a lot too. :I

When that happens, the rest of my day is pretty much shot anyway (unless I need to be periodically hyperventilating for no reason), so I just end up taking anti-anxiety medication and sleeping.
    I'm intending to take advantage of my campus's counseling center and start trying to work with someone to help me learn how to actually deal with stress. It doesn't really work to shut down when you're stressed over three deadlines all due in two days and they'll all take 12+ hours of work but you put it off because you've had OTHER deadlines before them that had everything go wrong and that took twice as long as they should and and and and @_@

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    I draw.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    I detach and pretend to be someone else, then laugh at the pathetic loser and his insignificant problem. Then I snap back to reality with a new perspective. Sometimes it helps.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I'm intending to take advantage of my campus's counseling center and start trying to work with someone to help me learn how to actually deal with stress. It doesn't really work to shut down when you're stressed over three deadlines all due in two days and they'll all take 12+ hours of work but you put it off because you've had OTHER deadlines before them that had everything go wrong and that took twice as long as they should and and and and @_@
    Yeah, it's pretty shitty when it happens during stuff you need to get done. :[ Most of mine tend to happen when it's either late and I've read something that scares me or I'm in a new social situation ("hey man, this is my friend Gorgo" "why does she look like I'm going to kill her") but it's occasionally ruined school or work projects before. :< I regret that.

That's one of the reasons I'm trying the therapy route, too; I'd like to not be dependent on medication just to avoid periodically feeling like I'm going to die. (Or, alternately, feeling like I deserve to.) Haven't gotten there yet, but I'm hopeful, I guess.

It's at the very least good to have someone to talk to who doesn't basically accuse you of making it up, or saying, "Just don't worry about it, man! Relaaax!" I can't, that is why it is called a panic attack, you ass. If it were that easy, I'd be doing it already. >:[
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.