Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Dealing with stress: how do you do it?

Weasyl
    Pine
    I slap a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    I slap a bitch.
    I don't think I'd get good marks if I hit my professor. It is starting to become tempting, though. :v

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Exams stress me out if they're hard classes. Family also stresses me out, usually my father's side, for other reasons.

Also, car trips with my mother. She's a really scary/impatient driver.

Handling it? I don't. I just hope and wait for the end and run on about 2 hours of sleep until after it's over.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I play video games.

Weasyl
    N/A
    If it's stress in the immediate environment, I just isolate from it.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I come on home from a hard day's work, change into my pajama's, grab an ice cold root beer from the fridge, turn on my T.V. and (if I'm not too burnt out from the work day) I stick my hand down my pants and baaaaaaaaa- but according to my room mate, that's the incorrect definition of pulling my weight. But it helps.

Weasyl
    Signy
    My stressors are almost all work related. The greatest cause is the bad attitudes of many of the people I work with, the double standards I often encounter, and the favoritism (often gender and racially based) that I've encountered. I tried improving my environment and fighting those for a while, but that was a battle I could never win.,

I'm experienced, take-charge sort who has a strong work ethic and a fair grasp of technical knowledge, and often end up in a position of leadership. Many of the people who work under me are burned out, uninterested and even hateful towards the job, feel stuck by the conditions and are just waiting out their contract. Allot of the time I have to ride them and check behind them and remind them in order to get a project completed. Everyone is motivated in different ways and I helps to encourage individuals through the methods they respond the best to, but there isn't always time for that and I have little choice but to be demanding and tough. Because I also have to live and work in very close quarters with them for long periods of time, often without time off or a break, it's especially difficult. I have to pick and choose my battles - which situations are worth putting my foot down, and which ones do I have to bend too in order to make for a more comfortable long-term.

Oftentimes, I end up doing much of the work myself, either for training (often re-training people who should know the task at that point) or simply the reliability because I know that I will do it once, quickly and correctly. This is something that has led to people taking advantage of me in the past and has become a weakness of mine. I have a tendency to take on too much and work through meals while the majority of my shop kicks back and does nothing. Once I'm given a project, it's really very hard for me not to take on the responsibility of everything and often end up taking more than my share. Sometimes this leads to resentment; another source of stress.

Escapism is my best relief. Reading, writing, and daydreaming are all relaxing to me. Loosing myself in a good video game works too. Sometimes focusing on a puzzle or a non-intensive game is great. Venting to friends in similar situations can help, but I try to balance this as I don't like to dump a ton of stuff onto people. Sometimes I know that I just have to take a step back and focus on myself; I have a few people that I can trust to step in for me if I need a break. I also really enjoy using tarot readings to help me interpret the situation that's stressing me out and to see if I can find a way to look at it from other perspectives. I took up e-cigs for a while for the calming effect of nicotine, and although it's not very healthy, it really made me feel great. Normally, I really like to go on walks; they help me to think. That isn't always possible for me in my work situation, but standing on a catwalk and looking at the ocean is an ok substitute.
    Last edited by Signy; 01-07-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Grab 2 male forumers you like or characters and be naughty with them.

Those random quick "LOLWAT" emotion helps alot.

There's also the option to not give a shit and just do what you can. I hear a lot of people are stressed out by their exam, then I turn on the song I like for some random Karaoke every 30 minutes or so while studying. It helps keep me in the clear zone and when I'm in the clear zone, stuffs will actually get into my brain and stay for a week.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Generally, very poorly. It depends on whether or not what I'm stressed about is a real problem, or something totally irrational that came courtesy of GAD. P:

But, a couple of things help some, especially if it is an actual rational stressor (like exams or looming bills).

Exercise. Probably any exercise, but I'm thinking hard exercise, like running or kickboxing. This is hard to make yourself do if there's a looming deadline, but 30-45 minutes of exercise isn't going to be that big of a deal unless you're running up super close. This helps a lot with the tingly, chest-tightening sensations that go with prolonged stress. It doesn't help me much with the thoughts themselves, though.

Mindfulness meditation. That sort of being aware of your physical presence in this moment; feeling your feet's weight on the ground, the feel of a fabric, a scent you can smell. Finding words to describe them. Focusing as much as you can on those physical sensations rather than anything else that's happening. I'm sure there's better explanations online somewhere; I'm only paraphrasing what the therapist told me.

Though FWIW, mindfulness only sometimes helps me, personally -- depending on how out-of-whack my brain is it'll just sometimes send me further into a spiral of body dysmorphia and self-loathing -- but if I am stressing about something specific and am not feeling too self-hating that day, it helps to keep my thoughts from running a mile a minute.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.