Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A private tutor has told me that whenever I have writer's block (e.g. still stuck on Ch.1 of a novel). Brainstorm and write down ideas that could potentially lead to the end; so write down things that could happen in Ch.2, Ch.50, or perhaps even the sequel(s). The second thing she's told me is just streaming: basically keep typing without little to now pauses, typing out the story despite grammar (and maybe story) errors. You can always edit those. The most important thing is to keep feeding your mind about the story development and how your characters live in it. I saw a pretty good TED-Edu. video on youtube while ago, it's pretty simple but it's good to take it's perspective. "How to build a fictional world - Kate Messner" on Youtube (New Weasylrs can't include URLS).

I received a tip from a published author: keep a writing blog or book or something that requires daily writing, even if it's a diary or whatever, and just write something every day.
    Look at it this way: willpower is like a muscle. The more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. Eventually writing will become a habit.
    I haven't tried it, but someone else might.

I've found that when I have writer's block, I work on setting the bar SUPER LOW just to get started. This work's for me, and might not work for everyone, but here is what I do:

- Write creatively on a project of your choosing for at least 15 minutes a day.

That's it! I set the bar for 15 minutes per day, which takes a ton of the pressure off. Often I end up writing for far longer than the initial 15 minutes, because focusing on writing for 15 minutes is usually what I need to get my creative juices rolling.

The idea to Write 15 Minutes A Day comes from Laurie Halse Anderson's blog. Even though she's not an author I'm crazy about, she did inspire me to write more than I ever had before. And all she said was "writing for fifteen minutes a day could change your life." And, well, it did! Thanks to setting that small goal, I was able to do some things I never had before. I developed the discipline to write articles freelance (for real money!), as well as the discipline to actually complete my first NaNoWriMo. I feel comfortable calling myself a writer now, even though I'm not where I'd like to be yet.

I set up some additional rules for myself, like:

- No rollovers. If I write for an hour today, I can't "push" the additional 45 minutes onto the next three days and take those days off.
    - No using the 15 minutes for, like, email writing or something. "Oh wow, I wrote an email and chatted with my friend on Facebook for fifteen minutes. I'm done for the day!" No, it has to be creative.

Like I said, this may not work for everyone. I almost always write for way more than 15 minutes a day, but for some others, 15 minutes might not be enough to develop the discipline needed to write consistently, nor may it help someone to get into a creative groove.