Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Zeitzbach

How do you really stop procrastinating and just write?

I've been running into procrastination issues with writing lately. I had my goal set that I must write something during the winter break, at least 1 to 2 chapter and 1 random in-between chapters (what do you call those anyway? I don't think "intermission chapter" is the right word). I had the whole thing planned out. I even drew the darn map and setting so it's much easier to visualize the place. The whole darn chapter from start to finish with most of the convo in my head, in picture!

But then, I open notepad / Microsoft word and I just go

"Nah. Maybe later."

It's like

asd
    asdasdasd

FFS WHY OH WHY?

How do you really get rid of this annoying half-assed lazy attitude? I know the first step is always the hardest but it shouldn't be this hard. I just get that weird feeling in my stomach everytime I open up Word and Notepad with an intent to write a story.

Weasyl
    Ley
    HAVE I THE SOLUTION FOR YOU!
    Bam! HabitRPG!

Organizes your life for you, get cool HP points and mana and its totally free. My Productivity is through the rooof.

As far as my personally, what motivates me to write is asking myself questions like "What would my character do in a fight?" And so on and so forth. Abstract questions that force you to think about the nuances of your characacter.

Weasyl
    Signy
    I am a huge fan of Write or Die. When I'm not in the mood to write, dealing with a block or just plain need motivation, I open up the program and stretch out my fingers. Sometimes, it's stream of consciousness dribble or loosely connected ideas that can later deepen into something more substantial. Sometimes I've located a character's voice, or discovered a trait that developed just from the sheer need to stay ahead of the death dirge. It doesn't even matter if what I produced was usable or not - it managed to get me jump started.

Other things that work well for me are new moleskine notebooks and fresh fountain pens. I'm a sucker for beautiful writing equipment and just have to use it. If I'm being overly critical and am preventing myself by constantly self-editing every sentence as I write it, I turn to a word processor and change my text color to white so I can't read anything until I'm finished.
    Last edited by Signy; 01-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    The Habit RPG was useful for some weight losing plan.

So I decided to do a random short writing to the chapter one part at a time and although I kept feeling this "JUST STAHP" in my stomach, I finally found the way to deal with it.

FIGHT THE FEELING WITH A STRONGER FEELING

Pointless bromance scene really motivates me to keep going so as long as I find a way to throw it in the chapter mid-way without disrupting the flow and going in too thick and deep to make it mature, I should be able to turn all my ideas into its written form pretty fast (if I can avoid turning it into a picture first, that is)

Weasyl
    Saga
    Quote Originally Posted by Ley View Post
    HAVE I THE SOLUTION FOR YOU!
    Bam! HabitRPG!

Organizes your life for you, get cool HP points and mana and its totally free. My Productivity is through the rooof.
    i tried making an account and getting started, but it all seemed like so much work to do :/

/dilemma
    E: I also just cheated and clicked the + a lot. I then realized I was spending my time clicking over and over instead of doing my work =_=
    Last edited by Saga; 01-09-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    This is really one of those things that you just have to buck up and force yourself to do. Ask a friend to help motivate you if need be. I cut a deal with my proofreader for fifty bucks every chapter he proofread for me. He made sure to keep the pressure on me to keep writing, and that turned out to be exactly what I needed. XD
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

If you're procrastinating on a hobby, maybe you're burned out on the hobby. You just need to find something new or interesting to write about, maybe broaden you interests or learn about something new that might tie in somehow.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    ASTA
    When I couldn't get into private writing projects, I took up an old hobby that's just as good if not better: Roleplaying.

I mostly stick with advanced RPs, but they generally help me convey ideas better and practice new writing techniques, plot ideas and fresh characters in an area populated by like-minded individuals who, like me, want to improve. More often than not, I find that being in the presence of various writing styles helps to positively influence my own style, with the back-and-forth critique being a huge help during lengthy RP sessions.

Weasyl
    Rico
    Honestly, the only way I've seen to stop procrastinating is to just start writing. Yeah, it's difficult to finally just sit down and do it, especially with the entire internet at your disposal, but the reward is writing in and of itself. You might only write a couple of sentences at first, but forcing it every single day will eventually wind up with you writing 500+ words a day out of habit.

Weasyl
    TheLexicon
    I make sure I feel obligated to write.