Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Rinzy

Learning another language?

Anybody actually make a hobby out of this? What languages are people trying to learn? What methods/services are you using to do it? Do you have any recommended resources for people trying to learn a second language?

Myself, I'm trying to learn French in my spare time, using an app called Duolingo that works similarly to Rosetta Stone. After I get a little more experience with it, I'm going to start switching my languages on my electronics over and find things like French news and music to read/listen to.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I've been wanting to pick back up on learning French again, but it would have to wait until I can allot proper dedication to it. I'd also love to learn Gaelic.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    If you game, then switching the language from English to your target language is a great way to improve written comprehension, particularly in games like RPGs that tend to be highly text driven. The actual game portion acts as natural encouragement. I think I know more about Guild Wars (1) in German than English.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    If you game, then switching the language from English to your target language is a great way to improve written comprehension, particularly in games like RPGs that tend to be highly text driven. The actual game portion acts as natural encouragement. I think I know more about Guild Wars (1) in German than English.
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe take a game I'm familiar with (like Fallout) and switch it over to French so I still know what's going on and can grasp the stuff a little better.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I've, uh, acquired Rosetta Stone, and I've learned a bit of Latin from it. Seems like I never can both have the time to do it and then remember to actually do it, though. I should pick it up again before school starts next week.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe take a game I'm familiar with (like Fallout) and switch it over to French so I still know what's going on and can grasp the stuff a little better.
    It's something you only want to do after you've got down the basics of the language. Otherwise you'll spend too much time looking up every word and puzzling through grammar. No matter what, you're going to spend a lot of time with a dictionary in another window. For me, real sources were the definitely the fun part of things.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    It's something you only want to do after you've got down the basics of the language. Otherwise you'll spend too much time looking up every word and puzzling through grammar. No matter what, you're going to spend a lot of time with a dictionary in another window. For me, real sources were the definitely the fun part of things.
    Real sources?

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
    Real sources?
    Oh, as in typical media like news and games in the other language, as opposed to textbooks and other learning materials.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Oh, as in typical media like news and games in the other language, as opposed to textbooks and other learning materials.
    Oh yeah, immersion's going to be interesting o.o

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Omg I was wondering if I should make a language thread :U Yesss

I learned French in high school and am currently working on Japanese. I have a big long list of languages that I want to learn, but currently the most feasible is Spanish. I kind of know the grammar and some words but I'm really horrible at it :s

I have not actually found a "good" way to learn a language. Different things work for different people. A lot of what will work for you depends on how well you do with different parts of language. Personally, I'm rather exceptional and pronunciation and grammar compared to the general population but I suck. balls. at vocabulary. It's really difficult for me. This made it easier for me to learn languages in school where they teach it with a greatly analytical grammar-oriented method (although their methods are arguably terrible on the whole). Others have problems with grammar and do better with vocabulary.

My one suggestion based off of personal experience is that you're better off learning the basics from someone who learned the language as a second language because they are much more likely to be cognizant of how the language actually works from a grammatical standpoint instead of just having intuition of how it works because they grew up with it as most native speakers do. However, once the basics are reasonably well mastered, I would suggest practicing the language with natives or people who are considered very fluent, because then you can practice learning the language and synthesizing it as a natural process.

I haven't actually used Rosetta Stone but I've heard some about it from languagy blogs and papers and stuff and I've mostly heard that it's kinda shitty for anything beyond the most common languages :I But. I haven't personally tried it so I can't say.
    Duolingo is good for starting out on a language (although I prefer to learn a little differently from the way it wanted to teach me so I never actually finished any language in it) but I know for a fact that the Italian audio is crap >:I Aside from that, I think it's a good place to start on a language. Don't use it if you've taken the language before though; it will require that you use very specific words for certain things that you may not have learned to mean exactly that. That's the downside to online learning stuff and the like. There's almost always multiple translations for a certain word or concept but if it's online or something it's pre-set and there's no gray area where it means the same thing but it's not exactly what it thinks it should be. Humans, however, can understand that gray area.

I'm also available for helping anyone with French or Japanese if they need it :3 I don't have a great Kanji vocabulary and my advanced vocabulary in French is kind of minimal but I'm excellent with grammar.