Page 371 of 424 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381421 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,710 of 4237

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: What Grinds Your Gears?

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Really it was all linguistic arguments for the sake lf arguements because internet. I don't consider you any sort of prejudiced, and readimg back now I see what you were getting at in a clearer way. You were stating WHY things are as they are, but you weren't condoning them, just stating things as they were.

And yeah ancient times were really open about homosexuality. But they also diddled little boys and eunuchs and practiced incest so eeeeeh yanno. Not a sterling example of morality.

To be on topic Cat diesel engines made in Peterbuilts 1997-2005 era are humongous pieces of shit holy fuck. 800,000 miles and broken down already? Pathetic. Most trucks are barely broken in at that mileage.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    Really it was all linguistic arguments for the sake lf arguements because internet. I don't consider you any sort of prejudiced, and readimg back now I see what you were getting at in a clearer way. You were stating WHY things are as they are, but you weren't condoning them, just stating things as they were.

And yeah ancient times were really open about homosexuality. But they also diddled little boys and eunuchs and practiced incest so eeeeeh yanno. Not a sterling example of morality.

To be on topic Cat diesel engines made in Peterbuilts 1997-2005 era are humongous pieces of shit holy fuck. 800,000 miles and broken down already? Pathetic. Most trucks are barely broken in at that mileage.
    I would not say open but complex instead, as their perception of it was very interesting, to say the least. It was weird and it did not have the moral absolutism you have pushed down your throat nowadays (Such as you either are for, or against it)
    Take the Roman Empire for example, homosexuality was existent, but it was more or less a private affair, nothing deserving of any form of publicity or parades, be it positive or negative. Not to mention it was kept at the level of adultery, or concubine-like relationship. I personally never encountered documents of a Roman homosexual marriage and Romans treated marriages very, very seriously. Based on my findings I can assume that it was either non-existent, or so rare that it was irrelevant. But I look forward to someone showing me otherwise, that would give more information on Rome for sure.
    What I personally find interesting about the Roman perception of homosexuality was its double-standards. Nobody had any problems with you if you were the "giver", the "top-player" in a homosexual affair, but to be seen as the "take" or the "bottom" in one would had been quite humiliating, you would had been seen as a "minion" or something. It would be like homophobia today would be curbed down to moderate levels, and have them only target the takers in a relationship. But that is a frail analogy, after all, all analogies are frail.

Greece was an entirely different business. Their society was very open about homosexuality, I give you that. Greece, after all, was the one to promote this form of student-professor relationship thing. I forgot its term but I am pretty certain it had one.

Many barbaric cultures practiced polygamy.

It is about the cultures in Asia Minor I know very little about homosexuality, I must confess.

And incest... yeah, it was a popular practice until the 18th or 19th century. You can see it today stil. I believe there was actually a group on FA which state its support towards it. Wincestfurs, I believe it was called?
    If you ask me, it was a pragmatic and materialistic choice, incest. It was most often done in order to preserve one's dynastic properties within the family.
    It had strong religious connotations, in Zoroastrian Persia at least.

There were many things about ancient times that we deem to be a shady example of morality, of our system of morality. A system of morality is, after all, subjective and relative, I would say, and every culture, civilization, period of time, has its town, distinctly different system of morality.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Funnily enough, I have Indian royalty waaaay up the line. And in India they were ....advocates of bloodline purity, we'll put it that way. It explains some of the crazy in my family I think.

And that was the day my mom stolled using Ancestry.com :B It was a bit much for her to handle.

In regaurds to the rest of your discussion, I'm nodding my head thoughtfully. I just got off work and am very tired so I haven't much to say other than I enjoy talking with you.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    This alt-tab shortcut is the death of my productivity D:

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Picarto having issues when I feel like streaming.

Fuck both picarto connection and my internet.

Weasyl
    Skrimptious
    I went to a friend's baby's "dedication" yesterday at a random church in the city - cause I'm cool and supportive like that.

The dedication wasn't till later so the family had to wait through the church's typical schedule of events, but those started off terrible. Church-Leader had directed people to shake hands and I didn't want to, but tried any way, to blend in. I was thankful for the decent few who, at the very least, came into view before they decided to grab my hand, but it didn't stop there. There was another time when he directed people to put their hands on others' shoulders. Me being a short person (compared to most), didn't find it particularly comforting, it's like being held down. Later Church-Leader directed people to hug, only I didn't hear him and freaked out when someone from my side grabbed me.

Honestly, I didn't hear most of what Church-Leader had to say because the live drums were far too loud and when there wasn't drum accompaniment the guy's irregular method of crescendo-shouting>labored whispering>outright gibberish towards any direction except where his mic was, made him difficult to comprehend. I mean, he had a microphone right there on his desk: just talk into it. I stopped trying to listen and instead tried to read his lips so if he decided to have people touch me again at least I'd be prepared.

A dedication is apparently where the family/friends stand on stage with baby, while Church-Leader tries to tie bible stories into the event and tells the mother she shouldn't drink, smoke, or curse because humans learn by mimicking. I got touched by strangers for a PSA.
    Last edited by skrimp; 07-06-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    Funnily enough, I have Indian royalty waaaay up the line. And in India they were ....advocates of bloodline purity, we'll put it that way. It explains some of the crazy in my family I think.

And that was the day my mom stolled using Ancestry.com :B It was a bit much for her to handle.

In regaurds to the rest of your discussion, I'm nodding my head thoughtfully. I just got off work and am very tired so I haven't much to say other than I enjoy talking with you.
    Thank you. I appreciate the compliment greatly, and I assure you that the enjoyment is mutual. It is always nice to be able to debate and have a civilized conversation. Looking forward to see you more around here.

Eduard: I promised you a more extensive historical post, but it seems like a lot of the information I was going to mention (Ancient Greece being one of them, tribal cultures than tend to stray away from the western ideal of a nuclear family is another) is information that you already know. As such, I apologize for almost treating you like an idiot, when you do have an extensive historical knowledge.

I would like to add that the Greek situation of a homosexual relationship between mentor and boy was called pederasty, according to my old notes from Greek class. But it was pretty much an acceptable thing that was condoned by society.

Edit to add: by looking some more things up to refresh my knowledge, I came across a book that could potentially be interesting as well, if I can manage to hunt it down here. "The Origins and Role of Same-Sex Relations in Human Societies" By James Neill.

On a more thread-related note: fuck this European heatwave. Seriously. 36C is not normal. I want my 19C summers back. :c
    Last edited by Hardrockangel; 07-06-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    The retarded "Article mums/dads".

"Ermahgerd I read this article on the internet and it has blah blah blah result and it showed our children will be corrupted and evil if he is exposed to gaming so we must ban it but my husband doesn't agree and now we're fighting."

This kind of parenting can go fuck themselves. A person so easily manipulated by the media and always bringing up some random bullshit online article should shut it. Sure my mom annoys me sometime with her "I read about this food and it says lemonade is basic" (dafuq) with 30 minutes of arguement later to tell her it's acidic because lemon is acidic but to see other mother going as far as to abuse their child or enforce dictator ship in the house because of some random articles on the internet telling them what to do?

These kind of people should be banned from having a child. THey need to do some kind of media manipulation test or something. Fools.

It's a symptom of their lives being so free of genuine problems that they have to make them up. Some people thrive on drama, and that's why we have internet forums and clickbait in the first place.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD