Page 417 of 424 FirstFirst ... 317367407415416417418419 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 4237

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: What Grinds Your Gears?

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm not talking about pagans or Romans. I'm talking about Egyptian mythology where people are claiming that Horus was born to a virgin (lolno) named Isis Meri (lolno) who had 12 followers (lolno) and was crucified (LOLNO).
    They're claiming the same thing with Buddha and it's just...WTF
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Virgin births aren't rare in religious texts though. I mean, it's an interesting backstory to the character but there plenty of other similarities shared that are more unique.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    N/A
    That's not my point ._.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    I commonly find cents on the ground. People must keep losing it every day

What REAAALLLY grates on me is when people claim to "know" about religion but really only barely know about Christianity and their only source is Facebook memes.

No. Jesus was NOT a carbon copy of Horus or Osiris. Stop using Psalms as something to forward an argument. That makes about as much sense as someone using Christian Rock as quotes from God.

STOP IT. STAAAAHHHHPPPPP
    Not a Carbon Copy but it is not a fallacy that Christianity adopted ideas and elements from other pagan religions and cultures in order to encourage the certain pagan demographics to convert to Christianity.
    It was quite an efficient tactic, to adapt to the condition of society, rather than behead people by the rows like in the Middle East today.

By my understanding, Damian's issue is not with the fact that Christianity adopts aspects of other religions, but rather with the people that ignore the ACTUAL history of both it and the other religions, and claim Christianity is just <Religion> with the names changed.

Weasyl
    Pignog
    Quote Originally Posted by Viciviser View Post
    So this is a rant and is going to jump around a bit but...

What grinds my gears is white privilege and racism. For real... I have a friend suffering for so many reasons, and yet one of them is definitely because she is black. She doesn't even try to let it bother her. She doesn't lash out at white people. But she still gets screwed over by white people of influence seeing her skin color and somehow being disappointed that she exists. And when it's not that it's because she's a woman. When it's not that it's because she is too competent with her job. Does that even make sense? No, but you keep seeing it with idiots getting jealous.
    Whatever happened to admiration? Why is it when someone is good at what they do people respond with, "Let's screw that person over because they are making me look bad or think they are better than me." instead of "Wow they are an awesome worker. I should strive to be like that person."

My twin has even had to go through that part. Of people not appreciating that she knows what she's doing, she's competent, and she knows how to do it well. Oh, and the plus of actually enjoying her job. I'm so tired of negative imbeciles crapping on other people. How do incompetent, miserable people outnumber competent, uplifting people? Misery might like company, but this is ridiculous. I just want to punch some people. Slap them so hard their ears ring. People I care about, people very close to my heart are being mistreated.

Also, back to the racism part, it's 2015. Get with the times. This racism and prejudice needs to be gone already. These should be dying mentalities.
    I hear you. Here in Canada -- where everyone is supposedly polite and good to each other -- racism is alive and well, especially towards First Nations people. And it's just acceptable to talk shit openly about how some group is ruining the country. For me, a lot of the people I care about/are close to me are the ones doing this. I've tried (frequently) to call them on their attitudes, cited statistics/qualitative studies/personal experience but no amount of evidence will change their minds. So I have no idea what the solution is. Arguing with them strains my relationships so sometimes I just shut up now (but I realise I shouldn't, and it just helps perpetuate the problems your friends deal with).

Weasyl
    N/A
    Car ownership. It's a bastard finding the right one and it's a bastard keeping it maintained. Don't even get me started on selling!
    I am the one and only Fantastic Mr. Fox!

Weasyl
    Dvir
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fox View Post
    Car ownership. It's a bastard finding the right one and it's a bastard keeping it maintained. Don't even get me started on selling!
    don't remind me, I have a possible $5000(approx) transmission replacement looming over my head atm >.<
    hence why I'm not going to be making any con's at least until next year.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Having the hardest time sleeping. Need something to preoccupy my time with until I clock out. =/

Being out of instant coffee.