Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    JiJi

Post your songs and projects here!

What are you folks working on (if any of you work on things?)

I've started writing and recording a few ideas for uni.
    This is the only thing I've looked at in the last month.
    Spent an hour arranging and sorting a structure out but this is nowhere near finished, I want to re-record a lot of it, and find a better vocal style. One that fits, this one is here, because it sounded odd instrumental.

WIP Song - Where we used to lie

dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam

Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    I love the singing style, and the guitar! But, and this is very pedantic of me, I'd play more on the hi-hat, the snare can be an overbearing tool in a song. Not critisism, but opinion ^^

I'll post up something MIDI'ish a bit later, I need to fiddle with the track!
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

Weasyl
    JiJi
    Quote Originally Posted by RainWizard View Post
    I love the singing style, and the guitar! But, and this is very pedantic of me, I'd play more on the hi-hat, the snare can be an overbearing tool in a song. Not critisism, but opinion ^^

I'll post up something MIDI'ish a bit later, I need to fiddle with the track!
    Cheers for the feedback, I have no clue what to do with drums at the moment, at the time of proper recording I'll probably take a drummer into the uni's studios. I'm just using Superior Drummer with reverb at the moment to soften it for this piece. I haven't tweaked it much yet.

Post away I look forward to hearing your stuff!

UPDATE!
    Two Cheap Beers WIP
    I made this up today, been working on this plan for a while too. It's hard to go from just acoustic to build a multitrack though. Also the vocals are too low for me :c

Going to attempt changing the key of my previous song, and see how that works.
    Last edited by JiJi; 01-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    My most recent submission to this place

I am partially happy with it, the sound is cool and I have a really nice melody for the first half... and then there's the second half, for which I ran out of ideas...

EDIT:
    I listened the file in previous post, out of curiosity. It is way out my preferences but it has some really cool sounds. I was spooked when that voice came in, it sounded like it came from the room next to me hahahaha (and I live alone now). I am normally not easy to spook, this got me. The voices sometimes start sounding like they are inside your heard.
    You can partially thank my sound system and excellent placement of speakers for that haha.
    I am plasantly surprised
    Last edited by Tiido; 01-24-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Weasyl
    JiJi
    I don't usually listen to stuff like this but it's really cool, quite trippy, interested to see how it goes. c:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiido View Post
    My most recent submission to this place

I am partially happy with it, the sound is cool and I have a really nice melody for the first half... and then there's the second half, for which I ran out of ideas...

I've made a uni band for writing and performing this module, so far me and a guitarist made this

EDIT:
    I listened the file in previous post, out of curiosity. It is way out my preferences but it has some really cool sounds. I was spooked when that voice came in, it sounded like it came from the room next to me hahahaha (and I live alone now). I am normally not easy to spook, this got me. The voices sometimes start sounding like they are inside your heard.
    You can partially thank my sound system and excellent placement of speakers for that haha.
    I am plasantly surprised
    This tune reminds me of an old sega game but I can't think what. It sounds like dojo or a fighting level theme, it's made really well https://soundcloud.com/ji-ji/jam-1 It's just a demo for reference until we agree on the rest of the song. I wanted a pop punk post hardcore but this sounds a bit different.. but I like the sound.

So far I've only published this attempt at house music: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/41...lug-me-a-heart

My project is not only the music, but the character behind it, which you can know a bit better in my gallery, though I haven't been thorough on her backgroung yet.

I intend going for diverse electronic songs, explore all kinds of effects, tempos and whatnot.

-----

JiJi, I think one problem with your first WIP is that the voice and guitar have the same flavor. How about pitching the guitar down?
    On the second song, your voice is lower, than the guitar, so the song has more variety.
    But I suggest the opposite: sing higher, on an octave you're comfortable with, and tone down the instrument.

I'm not sure, still a newbie in music, but this occurred and I thought I'd share.

zarya, I liked the atmosphere in your song, but are you EQing out the unneeded lower frequencies? I think they are masking a bit of the mediums/highs. What is your plan?

Tiido, your music is supposed to be spooky or just to go with a spooky place, say, a haunted level on a game? Because it is too happy to be spooky, although it goes well with a haunted dojo setup... it's just I'd imagine it more of an action theme taking place in this dojo than a fear-inducing theme, do you get what I mean?
    If you'd like to cause some goosebumps, try out DsK Strings, a VST for violins, cellos and stuff. The option "Glissando" is creepy as hell.

And the empty part is not bad, it's filled enough with notes and percussion. But maybe if you switch the order, making this emptier part come as an intro, you might get more satisfied with it. Another choice would be making the melody come back in a simpler way, echoing at some spots, but not being played fully.

-----

If I'm being too pushy, tell me so, I'm giving some critique because that's what I'd like people to give me as well, if this is not the intention of the thread, forgive me.

Weasyl
    ZaryaRaccoon
    I'm not. I don't recall even -touching- EQ - it's really just the synth. It's the same issue I'm thinking, it's a bit...bleh, not "wide" enough.

Weasyl
    JiJi
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayPossum View Post
    So far I've only published this attempt at house music: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/41...lug-me-a-heart

My project is not only the music, but the character behind it, which you can know a bit better in my gallery, though I haven't been thorough on her backgroung yet.

I intend going for diverse electronic songs, explore all kinds of effects, tempos and whatnot.

-----

JiJi, I think one problem with your first WIP is that the voice and guitar have the same flavor. How about pitching the guitar down?
    On the second song, your voice is lower, than the guitar, so the song has more variety.
    But I suggest the opposite: sing higher, on an octave you're comfortable with, and tone down the instrument.

I'm not sure, still a newbie in music, but this occurred and I thought I'd share.
    Thanks for listening and the feedback. All my acoustic WIP's are pretty much just recorded ideas, I don't do any serious mixing or anythign more than record lyrics riffs and ideas because I know my lecturer will want me modifying a lot before I finish them. I was actually concerned my voice is too high on the first song, for definite it is too loud and masking the guitar.

I can do both songs quite comfortable, it's just I one take all the shots, I know it seems lazy but I'm writing like 15 songs in twelve weeks, 9 to record 6 to perform at the end. I was considering changing keys of the first song, but I haven't played with it yet, been writing other things.
    Thanks again I'll try and fiddle about with them and make some amendments!

In reciprocation, I haven't much to say as I know very little of the genre you work in. The song is cool, quite tight and produced well, personal preference makes me think the bass kick is a little too high in reference to the other layers, but it's a cool tune nonetheless.
    Last edited by JiJi; 01-28-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayPossum View Post
    Tiido, your music is supposed to be spooky or just to go with a spooky place, say, a haunted level on a game? Because it is too happy to be spooky, although it goes well with a haunted dojo setup... it's just I'd imagine it more of an action theme taking place in this dojo than a fear-inducing theme, do you get what I mean?
    If you'd like to cause some goosebumps, try out DsK Strings, a VST for violins, cellos and stuff. The option "Glissando" is creepy as hell.

And the empty part is not bad, it's filled enough with notes and percussion. But maybe if you switch the order, making this emptier part come as an intro, you might get more satisfied with it. Another choice would be making the melody come back in a simpler way, echoing at some spots, but not being played fully.
    The tune just started as something and a friend later on said that it would be "that" in his opinion. It wasn't a "spooky tune" until that point
    If it would end up in some game I am more thinking along the lines of a shmup or somethng else where you cause massive destruction haha.

As far as VSTs and other things go, that is not possible. Apart from drums all of it is vanilla Sega Mega Drive / Genesis (YM2612/3438 + "PSG"). I have synthesized some of these bowed string instruments hoveve and also some cool pizzicato stringsr, and now I am actually thinking about something ^^. Not sure yet what kind of motifs I could put into the empty place, I have listened it for so long now that it feels normal for it to be empty haha. Maybe I could keep the empty place as is, and add another section. Hard part for me is to make the other section feel like its not an entirely new tune...

Quote Originally Posted by PlayPossum
    If I'm being too pushy, tell me so, I'm giving some critique because that's what I'd like people to give me as well, if this is not the intention of the thread, forgive me.
    I certainly don't mind !