Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Who here is not a furry?

These threads are interesting. It is crazy how much vitriol people spit your way if you dare to be involved in the fandom in any way at all but don't consider yourself a furry. People get really hateful and rude, as if it's really important to them to force the label on others and you're somehow insulting them personally by not wanting it. I don't even get why they care if someone else doesn't consider themselves a furry, much less get angry and tell them they're in denial about it.

I'm one of those, I've just never felt like one. I don't know. I have furry friends, but I have more non-furry friends. I don't enjoy cons, fursuits creep me out, and I enjoy non-furry art just as much (and sometimes more) than furry art. For the longest time I didn't have anything considered a 'fursona' either, just characters, but recently made a character sort of for that after being nagged to death to make one. But I still see her as just a character with some of my traits instead of a part of me. It's just not really an important part of my lifestyle and I don't tend to care about furry past liking some of the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla-La View Post
    These threads are interesting. It is crazy how much vitriol people spit your way if you dare to be involved in the fandom in any way at all but don't consider yourself a furry. People get really hateful and rude, as if it's really important to them to force the label on others and you're somehow insulting them personally by not wanting it. I don't even get why they care if someone else doesn't consider themselves a furry, much less get angry and tell them they're in denial about it.

I'm one of those, I've just never felt like one. I don't know. I have furry friends, but I have more non-furry friends. I don't enjoy cons, fursuits creep me out, and I enjoy non-furry art just as much (and sometimes more) than furry art. For the longest time I didn't have anything considered a 'fursona' either, just characters, but recently made a character sort of for that after being nagged to death to make one. But I still see her as just a character with some of my traits instead of a part of me. It's just not really an important part of my lifestyle and I don't tend to care about furry past liking some of the art.
    I used to hang out around a lot of furries for 2 years before I made myself a good solid fursona. You can be around furries and not be furry. In my case, I just enjoyed the company. I've always had less-than-faorable fetishes and furries were the most understanding and accepting people about them. (They aren't specific to animals, by the way.) We had a rule in a great forum community that I used to hang in. "You're only furry if you say you are." "Furry" is kind of a vague term anyway, it's too hard to define, so I generally stick by that rule because it makes everything so much easier.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    Verona
    Here! I'm not a furry too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla-La View Post
    It is crazy how much vitriol people spit your way if you dare to be involved in the fandom in any way at all but don't consider yourself a furry. People get really hateful and rude, as if it's really important to them to force the label on others and you're somehow insulting them personally by not wanting it. I don't even get why they care if someone else doesn't consider themselves a furry, much less get angry and tell them they're in denial about it.
    Oh geez, I've seen that happen a fair amount myself, especially with the kind of people who are that crazy they will get incredibly pissed off enough to tell you you shouldn't be around their parts in the first place, like it's some secret club for the privileged.

Crazy stuff.

I've been interested in anthropomorphic characters mostly for the cute/fantasy aspect, I don't generally interested enough to associate with the other aspects to consider myself part of the fandom; I've never been to a furcon, don't think I would enjoy it. No fursuit, not into that kind of thing at all. The lifestyle thing leads into the really obsessive areas and I'm not exactly a fan of that myself either.

We had a rule in a great forum community that I used to hang in. "You're only furry if you say you are." "Furry" is kind of a vague term anyway, it's too hard to define, so I generally stick by that rule because it makes everything so much easier.
    That's generally how I view it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LackLuster View Post
    I've never been to a furcon, don't think I would enjoy it. No fursuit, not into that kind of thing at all. The lifestyle thing leads into the really obsessive areas and I'm not exactly a fan of that myself either.
    Kind of off-topic, but by last count, only 16% of the fandom fursuits. I've never worn one and I don't go to cons at all.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

I'm kind of on the fence about it. I don't really consider myself a furry, but I do think some furry things are fun?!?! I like the art and I obvs draw the characters and I have a fursona and the idea of having a fun costume to run around conventions in seems really fun, but those are all just sort of little nebulous things that I like doing... Kind of in the same way that I like certain video games and cartoons and miscellaneous shit but I don't consider myself to be in the fandom of them.

And I mean, I have some characters that are anthropomorphic animals, but I don't exactly consider them to be 'furry' characters because they share little to no characteristics with what I consider a furry character aside from the animal characteristics.

... It's a weird distinction. :U

Weasyl
    N/A
    I am not a furry, and have dissociated myself from the fandom. I use to spend a lot time on the outskirts because of my interest in some of the art, but that eventually turned into disinterest as my tastes changed. The issue of drama in one form or another was nauseating, and it seems to have exploded within the recent years. I understand that this is not exclusive to the Furry Fandom, but it's hard to deny that it's plagued with vitriol.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I am a massive furfag, but I'm more into the AERT and creativity side of it more than anything else.

I'd go to a con, though.

I'm a scaley, not a furry :V

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I am a massive furfag, but I'm more into the AERT and creativity side of it more than anything else.

I'd go to a con, though.
    I'd go to a con, too. Just because fursuits are awesome and take a lot of work---and most of the time, peeps don't know who you are. I like some of the art, but yiff not much.