Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: For The Eating Impaired

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Weasyl
    Judicant

For The Eating Impaired

As I know just within our staff we have a couple people that have issues with how they eat and what they can eat that are beyond their control, I'd figure I'd open this up for everyone. It's also of interest to me because as some people may have guessed, I like food, and I find the inability to be able to eat something very depressing and I want to hug all of you.

This is not to say I'm outside the scope of this, no. Despite liking to cook and buy a shit ton of food, I actually have considerable trouble eating. Several people who knew me over on FAF know the gist of the story, but I have achalasia, which pretty much means that all the nerves in my esophagus have burned out and stopped working. And you know, the muscles in there are pretty important for actually being able to swallow stuff.

It was bad enough to the point where I was lucky to get one small meal down a day, the rest would get trapped and I'd have to throw it up (which honestly... makes you not hungry anymore). Towards the end before the procedure that 'fixed' things, I lost 40-50lbs in a month and was feeling the beginning effects of muscle atrophy.

The tests and procedures and all that are pretty boring and a bit depressing, so I won't really be talking about those. Basically now I can kinda-sorta eat because they've forcibly stretched the lower esophageal sphincter open, which in place of the esophagus' muscle rhythms lets gravity just pull food to my stomach (SORRY, CAN'T BE AN ASTRONAUT). It's not perfect though, and I should probably get it done again, so it leaves me with several things I just cannot eat. Generally, incredibly dense or rough textured foods end up getting stuck somewhere, and spicy and sour foods just irritate everything and somehow manage to clamp up my LES for a couple hours (it's on my AVOID AT ALL COSTS list). Aside from that, despite eating more than I was at the time of the problem, I haven't been able to put on any more weight and I'm falling into the underweight category. So this week I'm trying to eat a lot more fatty foods (but not fast food ew) and trying to make sure I eat enough every day. It also takes me a good 45-60 minutes to eat a decent sized meal, and sometimes my schedule prevents me from eating as much as I should. :<

But yes, enough about me, I want to know about anyone else who's experienced eating problems, either personally or if someone close to you has issues. Bitch, complain, cry, reminisce, it's all good here.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I remember one particular period where I hardly ate a thing. I just never felt like it, and sometimes I felt sick when I tried.

Outside of that I'm terrible at eating. Like, I'm picky as hell. Though my pickiness is more down to texture than it is taste. For one thing, I hate eating soup, casserole, stew, and other wet lumpy shit.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Judicant
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Though my pickiness is more down to texture than it is taste.
    This is why I don't eat red meat that hasn't been processed in some way. The texture is just god awful and I can't stand it.

Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    When I'm extremely sick or depressed, I have no desire to eat at all. When I'm normal, yeah buddy! I love food.

But the problem I have, is that it's very hard for me to keep up a schedule and eat at appropriate times. I ALWAYS miss breakfast. And I would go an entire day without eating until I either get hit with a hunger pain or finally remember I need to shovel food into my pie hole.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I used to eat almost nothing 'cause I was picky as shit, then my mom got cancer and had to send me in a foster family for a year, where all they fed me was tomato sandwiches, beans and fish eggs. I'm much, much, MUCH less picky now. And don't even show me tomatoes, beans or fish eggs or I'll have a gag reflex from the awful memories.

Also, I'm the 2nd fastest eater in my family after my uncle, and we both don't gain any weight from eating even though our stomachs are black holes. Desserts excluded. When I lived with my grandma for three years during my last years of high school and my first year of college, I went from no belly to making me disgusted of myself and dressing in the baggiest hoodies you could find because she worked as a cook specialized in desserts all of her life, and she LOVES to spoil everybody. Since then, I try to eat the least fat, salt and desserts as possible, eating just a banana for breakfast, nothing for dinner and then pig out at supper (chips, pizza, fast food, anything is accepted). It may not seem like much, but just from that particular banana-nothing-everything diet, I lost 30 pounds in the first month. 30 pounds, one month, I had to fucking buy new clothes. And that, three times in two years.

I went from being legally obese by Quebecois standards to actually almost reaching my healthy weight. At first I wore the baggiest hoodies, then I lost enough weight for shirts to actually look good on me, and now?

Fuck shirts, it's too fucking hot outside.

Weasyl
    zenia
    I have no medical issues... but most of the time I just can't be arsed to eat. I don't like preparing food or cooking unless it is for other people... because then I get praise for being a good cook.

I bet I would be skinny now if I hadn't had a major overeating problem when I was a kid/teen.

My major thing, like Gibby, is textures. Chunks of fruit in yogurt? NO! Only lemon meringue/vanilla/banana flavor for me thanks! Onions? NO! They are either too slimey or too crunchy. etc.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    2010 I was so depressed for about 6 months because of some pedophile Timon-fan causing drama in our inner circle; didn't really eat much aside from frozen gatorade for the whole time. I was always a little chubby at 115lbs, went down to 89lbs and when I got weighed for some pre-Air Force training I was 1 pound away from being forcefed. Now uh...the opposite is the case, I'm chubby again. (Maybe I should work out, I'm getting jealous of all these toned bitches in my place)

And I'm with zenia on the onions. Blurgh. When you eat spaghetti with the sauce and it has those chunks in it and you hear this sickening "CRUNCH"...spaghetti shouldn't crunch. D;

Weasyl
    zenia
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomiKamikaze View Post
    Blurgh. When you eat spaghetti with the sauce and it has those chunks in it and you hear this sickening "CRUNCH"...spaghetti shouldn't crunch. D;
    Indeed! I tend to blenderize my sauce (adding the meat in later) so that it is all the same texture. My sister thinks I am nuts. I think it is better that way.

I like the flavor of onions in cooking... so I use onion powder. The only time I like non-powdered ones is in onion rings. The onion is soggy, but the batter is crispy, so it cancels each other out... unless the onion piece is too big.

Weasyl
    WildOak
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    ...eating just a banana for breakfast, nothing for dinner and then pig out at supper (chips, pizza, fast food, anything is accepted). It may not seem like much, but just from that particular banana-nothing-everything diet, I lost 30 pounds in the first month. 30 pounds, one month, I had to fucking buy new clothes. And that, three times in two years.
    Holy shit! I need to try that. Sounds like the best diet ever.

I went from being legally obese by Quebecois standards to actually almost reaching my healthy weight. At first I wore the baggiest hoodies, then I lost enough weight for shirts to actually look good on me, and now?

Fuck shirts, it's too fucking hot outside.
    That is impressive, good for you

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by catwithpen View Post
    Holy shit! I need to try that. Sounds like the best diet ever.

That is impressive, good for you
    My diet's only good if you're a couch potato like me, not enough calories for active people

Besides, it's pretty much the only thing I can do since my shitty back prevents me from doing any kind of exercise.

Also, if I'm really starving, I'll make me a nice bowl of apple sauce :3
    Last edited by Ibuuyk; 08-02-2012 at 12:12 PM.