Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Does it really matter if it was to impress? I have what is considered rather mundane hobbies. But this is aa forum where we can share them.

If people like the ideology of a religion. Why not follow what makes sense in current times.

You do not need to reinvent the wheel. It is the same reason why certain art instructional books still have a lot of value.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 01-06-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    So in a sense, it's like someone who calls themselves Buddhist because they meditate while not believing in the philosophy behind it.
    I see it more along the lines of being a non-fundamentalist in Asatru. Not every Christian believes that two kinds of every animal was on a boat at one time while the world flooded. There are different levels of belief, Toshabi.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoDelahunt View Post
    I see it more along the lines of being a non-fundamentalist in Asatru. Not every Christian believes that two kinds of every animal was on a boat at one time while the world flooded. There are different levels of belief, Toshabi.
    There's nothing wrong with taking what you want from things, but I find it ignorant to label yourself as something you're clearly not.

There's nothing wrong with taking what you want from things, but I find it ignorant to label yourself as something you're clearly not.
    I dunno about that. For all we know Tango could have Viking ancestry. It's not really any weirder than how Hispanics are labelled "Latin" when they're no more Latin than any other speakers of any given Romance language (and in some cases, probably less). Er, wait, is your issue with labeling yourself as a member of a certain ethnic group or as a member of a religion? Not gonna lie, it's pretty fucking hard to gather what your point is here.

Weasyl
    Tango
    I see. And what is disqualifying me as a follower of Asatru? Since you are obviously an expert on such things. I do plan to attend Blots and maybe even help start a kindred in the area. I am of the cultural (universalist) mindset instead of the 'folkish' which tends to be where the racists flock to. I've read into the belief, Tosh. I didn't just spin the wheel and go with whatever the pointer landed on. From what I'm gathering from your statements in this thread you think that I'm doing this either as a fad or you are passive-aggressively trolling.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    I dunno about that. For all we know Tango could have Viking ancestry. It's not really any weirder than how Hispanics are labelled "Latin" when they're no more Latin than any other speakers of any given Romance language (and in some cases, probably less). Er, wait, is your issue with labeling yourself as a member of a certain ethnic group or as a member of a religion? Not gonna lie, it's pretty fucking hard to gather what your point is here.
    A little bit of both, actually. While I find it absolutrly interesting to find out what people are proud of or what helps them cope with life, I'm also a bit bothered when said person starts loading up their car with bumper stickers of said belief, despite them not either being of the right race nor believing the key points of said belief. The vikings only kept on those beliefs because they truly believed in those dieties and did so to honor them. If what you're going to get from it all is "lol this is a fairy tale lore but the morals are good", you might as well make a religion out of a pixar film. I find it obnoxious when people tote stuff like that, only to find out they're simply picking the portions they like while throwing away the $50 portion of your $60 meal. Then again, downing the entire meal would make you more mad than a lunatic, but I can see where you're coming from with those beliefs.

There's such a thing as taking away important life lessons from a religion to better your life, then, there's calling yourself a follower of said belief while not really believing what makes tha religion a religion to their ancestral respects.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post

Part of my ancestry is of Norman origin (The sir names Godfrey and Johnson are of Norman origin and were found in England at around the time of William the Conqueror's invasion.) And since the Normans were vikings that had taken the area known as Normandy on the French coast well, there is your ancestral tie in. I think Tosh is just bored and 'being Tosh' since he has little else to do. This is the main reason I have him on my blocked list.

Weasyl
    N/A
    There's such a thing as taking away important life lessons from a religion to better your life, then, there's calling yourself a follower of said belief while not really believing what makes tha religion a religion to their ancestral respects.
    Actually all we know of viking spiritual practices come from a Christian writer centuries after they were no longer practiced. It's a whole wonderful world of we just dont know :I

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Actually all we know of viking spiritual practices come from a Christian writer centuries after they were no longer practiced. It's a whole wonderful world of we just dont know :I
    That really makes you wonder about all this now, doesn't it? The plot thickens.

Weasyl
    N/A
    That really makes you wonder about all this now, doesn't it? The plot thickens.
    Neo-paganism is whole different story though. It's not like TangoDelicious is saying he practices what some dude ravaging the Irish coast did a thousand years ago.