Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Then if it doesn't matter can you please stop bickering over it?

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Then if it doesn't matter can you please stop bickering over it?
    Bickering? Quite the contrary, I was merely inquiring and indulging myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO3BVkbmXvg

in an effort to get this forum back to what it's supposed to be about
    about generosity, and tall tales of long time saintly celebrities
    bestowing gifts of little practical value upon one another, just because
    a dining table, lit from the florescent chariot of Our King, Mufasa
    here we gather to honor the anniversary of His son, Simba's birth
    and letting our hair grow out to resemble a lion's mane
    this too is done to honor him
    casting off our shirts
    for it's hot, so are we

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    So when exactly can we move to Axe throwing and dealings tons of true psychological damage while also being immune to Forumers Control?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    So when exactly can we move to Axe throwing and dealings tons of true psychological damage while also being immune to Forumers Control?
    hey
    HEY

shhh

Weasyl
    Toshabi

Weasyl
    Tango
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    Brace
    This thread really went places, wow. But yeah, I've been really down for the last year or so and have started to explore theistic philosophy. I've always had a heavy interest in philosophy, and a different perspective on it. I'm the sort of person who can read both Atlas Shrugged and The Grapes of Wrath, enjoy them both, and take lessons from both. I've been an atheist since I was 16, and pretty much couldn't understand religion. One day I picked up the bible though, and started reading it in the same way as I would any other book, and I actually understood it (although I have yet to finish it). Something in my brain just clicked and I was able to understand the function of religious metaphor. However, Christianity doesn't mesh with some of my other philosophical beliefs, so I started to explore other faiths to an extent.

The thing is for me, I've found that in order to understand religious texts, I've needed to read them as I would any other book. When I read a work of didactic fiction like Atlas Shrugged, I can extract the moral and the author's intent without believing that John Galt and Dagny Taggart were real people, that there is a real place called Galt's Gulch, and so forth. Furthermore, I suspect that were I to treat it as a work of non-fiction, it would actually compromise my ability to extract meaning from the text, since it would lose its universalism and simply become a story about a certain place, time, and people. This was the impression I got while reading the bible. To interpret it to the letter robs it of any value. It only had a spiritual impact on me when I ceased to treat it as sacred and read without pretense.

As to the question of why identify as a member of a religion if you do not follow it to the letter and literally, I can't explain for Tango, but I can make my own case. I have shied away from labels due to a similar sentiment. I guess if any label fits properly, it would be syncretist neo-pagan, or even just philosopher. Ultimately the latter label is the one I like best, because it expresses that my commitment is first and foremost to truth. However, I need more detailed labels to really account for my convictions and mindset in general. Think of Bruce Lee, who was sort of a universalist martial artist. He could have identified as just "martial artist", but ultimately, as much as he tried to be all-encompassing and learn from everyone, he still did specific things which borrowed from specific traditions. So, he used the label "Jeet Kun Do". If he were to describe a certain technique, he might say "this is a taekwondo kick", or "this is a judo throw". These labels simplify the communication process.

It's possible that only the hardcore religious have the right to use religious labels to express their identity in whole, but I think others have the right to use them to help explain important facets of their identity or beliefs. These sorts of beliefs are deeply subjective, and not static things. There is likely nobody alive today who practices Asatru in a manner equivalent to how it was practiced in Pre-Christian Northwestern Europe. There is a certain logic to ceding labels to the people who want them most, and I think that it needs to be respected. However, I ultimately don't agree that faith is the most important part of religious belief, because I think the great substance of religion is just philosophy of the soul. I also think that if faith is elevated to be the single most important part of religious belief, it tends to erase the philosophical value of religion, because you stop focusing on the great lessons and start focusing on minutia, on ensuring a consistent interpretation of background details at the expense of the stories themselves and the bigger picture they give. I think it was this highly prevalent and dogmatic inclination that made me incapable of benefiting from theistic philosophy until very recently.