Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    mouthrot

The importance of hobbies

This might seem like a pretty "duh" thought, but I remember one of my psychology teachers emphasizing the importance of people (especially students) having hobbies, for so many emotional and mental health related reasons.

-great for stress relief
    -gives one a sense of self-growth since you can witness yourself getting better
    -so many opportunities for self-taught lessons about life (keep moving forward, small things add up, learning from mistakes, etc)
    -gives one more things to talk about and update on regarding conversations with other people

not to mention the sense of self worth, being able to stand back and say "dang, look at this thing I did."

A family member of mine was emphasizing how pointless they thought happiness was, and upon farther conversations they admitted that their only time-keeper was essentially their job. After some convincing, they decided to take up a hobby of some kind, and just the activity of searching for a potential hobby gave them an explosion of inspiration and emotional betterment.

And I would be lying if I said my doodling hobby didn't get me through some rough patches in my life.

Any similar stories out there? c:

Weasyl
    N/A
    I have my hobbies, but they tend to frustrate me a lot of the time, in all sorts of different ways. Which isn't exactly healthy, I suppose.

But I stick with them because I know that they add up to things that I will be veeery pleased about.

Absolutely. Having a healthy, productive hobby gives you goals, a sense of self-worth and satisfaction through those goals, and helps you to make friends by having more shared interests to relate with. My music and baking totally have helped me get through rougher patches in life. Heck, I've written stories about my music being the one thing to keep my soul alive and kicking through the daily grind of life, especially during college! We need hobbies to help us stay focused, to have something to look forward to, and to keep us on our toes along the way,

Now, when hobbies become an addiction in some cases.. that can be pretty dangerous. Too much of a good thing, as they say.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    2 3 4, yeah

But 1 is kinda

It depends on how competitive the hobby is. Gaming is very relaxing hobby unless PvP is involved.

But err, yup. Drawing was what got me out of most stressful situations. That, and plushies.

Weasyl
    JackalTeeth
    Once I started really getting into some of my hobbies (like drawing, gaming, hell even the fandom itself) I started feeling way, way better about myself and actually owning and being proud of the things I do. They've helped form relationships with people that I don't think I would have otherwise, and greatly improved my life.

Pretty much yeah I agree with the OP. Hobbies are good for you, just don't let them consume your life.

Weasyl
    mouthrot
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    It depends on how competitive the hobby is. Gaming is very relaxing hobby unless PvP is involved.
    Oh gosh yeah, I am recently finding this out myself regarding smogon and pokemon. Many people take PvP very seriously, and because of such it's not really something I'm interested in regarding a hobby that's supposed to relieve stress :I

Weasyl
    Ween
    Sometimes a bit of friendly competition can be great motivation for self-improvement.

Thing is, there's no friendly competition in gaming.

All these things depend on the hobby. Traditional (read: boring) hobbies are certainly all of those. I know a guy who's made it his mission in life to have sex with a girl from every country. Considering he lives in NOVA he's confident he's at least half way there and I wouldn't doubt the man. Actually come to think of it I guess his hobby does fit the bill.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Quote Originally Posted by mouthrot View Post
    Oh gosh yeah, I am recently finding this out myself regarding smogon and pokemon. Many people take PvP very seriously, and because of such it's not really something I'm interested in regarding a hobby that's supposed to relieve stress :I
    Smogon is... just taking a walk through their forums is an amazing thing, truly. They are without doubt dedicated to their craft, and if that's their idea of having fun then all the more power to them. Just, it always feels like it becomes such serious business, I wish I could understand their mindset. Inb4 'lolcasual'.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Some of my past times I can't say are hobbies because, to me, having a hobby in something means you're actively invested in it. Drawing and writing are slowly becoming that for me but I can't say gaming is a hobby for me. I just play when I feel like it.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.