Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    Tango

My new life as a viking

Well, kinda. I've been dealing with a lot as of late which has been why I haven't been around any forums or chats in a long time save for the occasional post. Since 'that other place' is burning like Nero's Rome as we speak I'll just start posting here. Anyway, back on topic.

I have been looking for something, anything really to help stabilizing me. A friend turned me to a pagan faith called Asatru. I like what I have seen so far. Yes, I'm getting 'religious' a bit but let me explain.

I still support evolution. Science is awesome. I do not really believe that the Earth was made from a giant's body. But I do like the values that the faith has such as the Nine Noble Virtues. So yeah, viking time. Don't know how many Saxons we have here but I promise not to burn down your farms and homes...for a modest bribe of course.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    No bribe. Bring me your best, heathen!
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

I am glad you found a religion that resonates with you personally. Ultimately the values and lessons you learn from the faith are the truly important part and not the mythology of the religion, which in most cases is usually just superfluous. Also this is a religion I am not to familiar with and I would love to know more about it. Could you direct me to any good information about it?

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    There's a difference between philosophical religion and straight up theism.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    There's a difference between philosophical religion and straight up theism.
    Pretty much this. I'm pretty sure OP's not sending prayers to Thor, Odin, Freyja, et al when he conquers an opponent or plunders a seaside village.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    I like following the philosophies of the Buddhist faith, personally. I don't pray or chant or anything though, of course.

Weasyl
    One_Classy_Dragon
    I think it's great that you are leering stabilization, or something to focus on. If you want a religion with insight and philosiphies, and without the fairy tales (no disrespect), I would suggest Buddhism. A non-theistic religion seems ideal in your situation (at least from what I have seen from your post). https://thebuddhistcentre.com/buddhism. This is only a suggestion of course, continue to follow what you prefer (you don't usually hear that from a fedora wearer do you)?

Edit: I noticed that Buddhists do have some supernatural beliefs of their own. Forget what I said earlier, you can just focus on the philosophy.
    Last edited by Gumshoe; 01-05-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoDelahunt View Post
    I still support evolution. Science is awesome.
    It always makes me chuckle when people have to point this out. You're not crazy for taking solace in religion, everyone needs some code or guide to help them live their life. Best of luck to you on your journey.

But should I see your longship on the horizon you are in TROUBLE mister.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    You're not crazy for taking solace in religion.

You're crazy if you take solace in theism.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    I like following the philosophies of the Buddhist faith, personally. I don't pray or chant or anything though, of course.
    :U I really love Buddhism. It's one of the nicest religions I've seen. The fact that it's generally not missionary-ish helps greatly. And it seems like one of the bases for it is not being an asshole.

My personal thoughts are that relating to a religion for philosophy and stuff is fine, but coming up with your own morals without help is really cool too <: I don't think either is better than the other, though.