Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    Self-inflicted piercings aaaaaaaaaaargh

I cringe every time someone proudly proclaims this to me at work. It really shows that it wasn't done professionally in my experience.
    A majority of the time when people say they did their own piercings, it's usually their ears or maybe the side of their nose.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    A majority of the time when people say they did their own piercings, it's usually their ears or maybe the side of their nose.
    I've met some old men that would make you cringe in fear, and perhaps wish you had an Unsee button too.

Weasyl
    Fawna
    I have a piercing-gone-wrong and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions... about six months ago, I got my nose pierced. They put a ring in it for me and told me to twist the ring once a day for 2-3 weeks and soak it in salt water wash to heal it up. Easy.

After about two weeks, I went to turn the ring and found it to be stuck. Completely stuck. The day before it was fine, when I woke up, a massive lump of skin had grown around it. I called the piercer straight away and he said it was normal and would go away. Right... well, it didn't.

Am I going to have to go to the doctor and have the damn thing cut out? Is there any other way? The nose piercing itself looks pretty good, I'm just uneasy about it because it's stuck...
    Click me.
    Or don't, I guess...

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    I've met some old men that would make you cringe in fear, and perhaps wish you had an Unsee button too.
    I can only imagine and I really don't want to imagine D:

Quote Originally Posted by Fawna View Post
    I have a piercing-gone-wrong and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions... about six months ago, I got my nose pierced. They put a ring in it for me and told me to twist the ring once a day for 2-3 weeks and soak it in salt water wash to heal it up. Easy.

After about two weeks, I went to turn the ring and found it to be stuck. Completely stuck. The day before it was fine, when I woke up, a massive lump of skin had grown around it. I called the piercer straight away and he said it was normal and would go away. Right... well, it didn't.

Am I going to have to go to the doctor and have the damn thing cut out? Is there any other way? The nose piercing itself looks pretty good, I'm just uneasy about it because it's stuck...
    I'm not a piercing expert so I could very well be wrong, but there's a chance it could just be swelling.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawna View Post

Well the first thing you should do is find a different piercer, because twisting your piercings is something you absolutely should not do. You see, when your flesh is pierced it creates an open wound. Now without going into scientific terms here, the next thing that happens is your body takes the immediate steps to close up the wound like it would any other. Next, it starts laying down the cellular building blocks for new skin. This takes time, and eventually new skin will form. This new skin is extremely delicate, it can rupture merely from touching it. The body continues to strengthen itself over time, and this is why many nose piercings (Is it your nostril or your septum?) take 3-4 months or longer to heal enough that you reach the point you can even consider messing with the jewelry.

When you twisted that ring, you ripped and tore at that delicate skin. There is a chance you may have scar tissue now. The "lump" could be lot of things; It would be an allergic reaction to low-quality metal, a metal you are allergic to, or it could contain Nickel (A material that is unsuitable for the body in every respect. Cheap jewelry often has this, and if you aren't already allergic to Nickel wearing it will give you an allergy to Nickel. No joke.)

It could also be a localized infection, or it could be irritation from any other number of means. Because what you are describing is vague, it could even be a keloid which is more genetic than anything iirc. It could also be what is known as a "piercing pimple".

You should find a new, and hopefully better, piercer to see. Use your local and online resources.

In the meantime, the best thing you could do is the following:

Do not touch your piercing for any reason. If it needs cleaning, which it probably does at least once a day, very very gently clean any discharge from around the piercing with a fresh and sterile Q-tip.

Do your saline soaks two times a day. You should be using the following recipe:
    1/4 tsp non-iodized sea salt
    8oz water

Mix the salt into water heated to about the temperature of a hot drink (one that is just hot enough to stay drinkable). It should not be scalding hot.

For nose piercings, try pouring the saline solution into a 4oz dixie cup or something similar that has enough room to submerge the piercing in the saline solution for 10 minutes.

Rinse the piercing with water afterwards.

Remember to WASH YOUR HANDS before any interaction or cleaning.

You may use gentle, non-scented soaps to clean the area around a piercing. Do not get soap inside the piercing. I recommend non-scented Softsoap brand. Do not attempt to use generic off-brands, they cannot be trusted.

Do not use alcohol, peroxide, ointments, or anything else on your piercings. Just stick with what I said here.

You can try Ibuprofin to help alleviate swelling, but remember that it should not be taken for extended periods of time.

If you have other questions feel free to ask them here or in a PM, I will answer to the best of my limited knowledge.

Again, find a new piercer. Yours does not seem trustworthy or all that knowledgeable to me.

Edit: Also, avoid touching anywhere around the piercing or letting pets contact anywhere nearby. Bacteria have the ability to travel up to 6 inches across a surface.

Edit2: Disclaimer is required; I am not a piercer, nor are my opinions to be taken in place of a professional. This is personal advice and nothing more.
    Last edited by Rilvor; 01-24-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Weasyl
    Kitten

That skull piece is so badass.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    I have three tattoos so far and 12 piercings. I used to have my nipples pierced, but my boyfriend was not a fan of them. So now I just have my ears, tongue and navel. My first holes are stretched to 0, my second holes are 8s and my third are just 16. Then I have a helix, daith and conch. I used to have my industrial done, but I was stupid and went to a bad piercer... It never healed so I took it out. When I forst got my navel done I went to someone who seemed like he knew what he was doing, very nice clean shop with all the proper equipment and sterile packages, but he told me to clean it with bactine...... So that one didn't last long either. I took it out, let it heal then went to my piercer who's been doing it for 16+ years now. I've never had any issues with his piercings. And he's awesome x3

First tattoo - http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps5674dee2.jpg

Second - http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...pse923bbf6.gif

And third - http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...kosir/star.jpg

I have many more tattoos planned, but no spare money as of right now.
    Last edited by Aakosir; 01-25-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aakosir View Post
    I have three tattoos so far and 12 piercings. I used to have my nipples pierced, but my boyfriend was not a fan of them. So now I just have my ears, tongue and navel. My first holes are stretched to 0, my second holes are 8s and my third are just 16. Then I have a helix, daith and conch.

First tattoo - http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps5674dee2.jpg

Second - http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...pse923bbf6.gif

And third - http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...kosir/star.jpg

I have many more tattoos planned, but no spare money as of right now.
    Ha, I have Semper Fidelis across my chest in big gothic letters.

Weasyl
    lichdog