Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    They always end up being filled with 'cores and rock music that is mistaken for metal simply due to the use of distorted guitars.
    I understand that but gentlemen please, I did ask politely.

Weasyl
    hareteeth
    (looks both ways) Is it safe to bring this thread back? I like the original premise about talking about other subcultures/etc, that's why I dived through the pages to find stuff that interested me!

IMO, "Goth" is more of an overarching genre that includes several distinct movements from a couple of eras, and "Gothic Rock" is a genre of music that happens to have a lot of "the themes" and spawned a lot of contemporary interest in a formative "scene".
    As per, I listen to a lot of electronic-y music (EBM, industrial/+rock/+metal, synthpop, darkwave, new wave) or digitally altered/composed music (again certain flavors of EBM, dark ambient, oh god the various permutations on "noise" music), but I also listen to less digitized stuff, punk/hardcore, and gothic rock....swinging to fully acoustic genres like anti-folk, folk punk, neofolk, and...tracks of people ritualistically chanting. On that note, though, I think it's valid to point out that Goth Rock, Industrial, and Metal all have different points of origin, different histories, and came out of different communities, even if we might have overlapping themes, fans, bands, record labels, whatever.

But I also think music alone can be a bad parameter. To me "goth" is more of a general connotation of dark+spooky, morose or macabre, stuff that has an outlook that is strange, perhaps dreary. As a young person, I was more into dark fantasy stories, ghosts, documentaries about "grotesque" or "eccentric" subjects, and being scared out of my wits. Getting older, stuff like "Weird" fiction and scifi/cyberpunk thrillers brought in influence, too. I'll own up to being notably lacking on my "classics" of gothic literature and weird fic. For me, I call myself "goth" more on the basis of liking a general swath of subject matter that shares similar core themes than liking/listening to any one genre of music.

How I dress tends to often swing between two primary modes: cool weather = foppish-to-frumpy library hound, hot weather = groady crusty queer punk. I acquire Halloween-themed duds, but mostly I just wear black to wipe the ink off on my pants without anyone noticing. I've also never owned a white shirt that I didn't immediately ruin with some stain. Too much bother.
    I always thought the "Goth (Stereo)Types" were cute. I'd put myself mostly in a Rivethead/Geek/Fetish/Hippy Venn Diagram.

Hum, I don't really "participate" in the subculture, I follow some goth bloggers, some of who are lifestyle bloggers/vloggers, annnd I create comics that often incidentally have goth characters, but I guess they also adhere to "the theme" of being spooky, weird, and morose...not so much macabre right now (not so much anything right now, as far as comics for me).

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I'm just surprised to see this thread exhumed in the first place!

I suppose if wanted to say something I felt would hit the most marks, I'd say that Goth is about self discovery.

But I do also love that it's against the norm in a very important way: We live in a world that has convinced itself that everyone needs to be happy all of the time, and if you aren't happy then there is something wrong with you and you need pills. Or brainwashing. Or pills and brainwashing. We are the ones who defy that notion, and by being ourselves we will continue to remind the world of that which it should not attempt to cram into the closet lest skeletons take up residence.

Edit: And a fair hello to you, good to see another one of us.

Weasyl
    Neviam
    Definitely still identify as goth, I have since I was 12. I'm into early deathrock like Bauhaus and Souixsie, industrial rock (not the rave/ VampireFreaks stuff, though.. more like KMFDM and Ministry), black metal, and a lot of dark art and poetry. I don't dress the part nearly as heavily as I used to, but the fashion still dictates a lot of my clothing choices.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Speaking of goth and goth interests, a new store opened up nearby that actually has some pretty cool shit in it.
    Little coffin purses and bat shirts and a gigantic asston of boots.
    I think I'mma finally buy me a pair of creepers on my next paycheck, considering they aren't stupid expensive, there.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    I wish I listened to more stuff like that. I just wouldn't know where to start, other than Voltaire. But thats variety under one band/dude.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Batty Krueger View Post
    I wish I listened to more stuff like that. I just wouldn't know where to start, other than Voltaire. But thats variety under one band/dude.
    Let me see if I can't set you up with some examples I think are decent from some bands. Perhaps at least one of them hits a mark that would be exceptional.

First, one of my favorite bands:

45 Grave is an old Horror Punk/Deathrock band straight out of California, and is regarded as one of the first.

Sisters of Mercy are a Gothrock standby.

Bauhaus is a mixed bag, so don't let one bad example put you off. These guys have a fair bit of variety in their sound.

Siouxsie and the Banshees is like this as well, especially given how long the band was together.

I haven't heard a whole lot of these guys, but this song I liked quite a lot:

Mephisto Walz is one I liked and wish they had made more music, but Goth Rock bands suffer a curse to die early.

Killing Joke is one you may already know, but in case you haven't heard of them...

For expedience I'm going to list bands and a song you might try out from here on:

Skeletal Family - Delirium
    Scarlet's Remains - The Mystical East

There's definitely a bunch of others I'll post as I remember them if anyone asks, but I'm trying to wrap this post up.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I kinda just like the looks some people in the culture have. I'm not one to get into this sort of stuff. Not heavily anyway.
    Nothing wrong with that at all. It's a hell of a lot better than the opposite, goodness knows we've got enough of that to handle.

Weasyl
    Torrijos_sama
    I like funky shit.

My whole life is funky shit, funky electronic music, and a little bit of neofolk. I'm a southerner. That's the name of the game.

And, of course, jazzy shit:

And, more acoustic things.

And fucking Frank Zappa.

The rest of my time is filled with heathenry, southern heathenry with dat hoodoo, reading, writing, and writing fetish smut.
    Last edited by Torrijos_sama; 06-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.