Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave

The Gothic/Deathrocker Megathread

In an attempt to make some topics about more subcultures around here, I'd like to do the honor of creating this one.

How many of my fellow snarklings, darklings, or whatever you horrid people call yourselves do we have here?

What kind of Goth are you? (Not sure? Check here for something that while tongue-in-cheek and very generalized is none-the-less fun to play with: http://www.blackwaterfall.com/viewall.php )

I could say I ascribe to the Corp Goth as style goes, but now and then I will wear the fishnets, leather pants, and calf-high leather shitstompers to work as well. It's all meant in humor really, any realistic individual would find traits in several of them.

I'm sitting here thinking of a dozen other questions I could type out but really that just makes this seem more like a questionnaire than a discussion thread; We all get enough questions as is. Now that being said...

Do you have any questions about the subculture? I would be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

For everyone else, what does Goth mean to you?

I will answer this myself when I have more time.

Weasyl
    Vae
    In terms of music, I would probably classify as a hybrid between trad and cyber. Yeah, figure out how that works. Lol.
    Siouxsie, Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiend, and Danse Society are a few of my favorites.
    So are Assemblage 23, DeVision, VNV Nation, and Beborn Beton.

In terms of fashion, I range just about everywhere.
    One day, I'll be dressed up in a nice vinyl corset with a fairy-style layered skirt and stiletto boots with lace gloves.
    The next, I'll toss on my black jeans, a NES shirt, and my Docs.
    Along with many, many, many other things. If you don't think I would wear it based on my current outfit, I probably actually do.

As far as attitudes and actual culture go, I'm not really into that aspect. Just like I'm not into the cultures of... say... furry or being a gamer.
    I'm just a fan of things.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I tend to listen to the more traditional variety of music. I can't stand EBM, or Industrial, or Metal (with rare exceptions), and other such things that tend to bleed over into Goth. Call me stubborn and whatever else one might, but I do not think those kinds of sounds are what Goth is about. I feel like trying to take anything and everything that is "dark" and trying to apply it to Goth does it a disservice. My favorite are things that fit very well into the Gothic idea, but are so unique they defy genre. Those are rare indeed.

I listen to a lot of Siouxsie and Bauhaus as well, although I must admit I do enjoy The Sister of Mercy and I adore Fields of the Nephilim. Eldritch's singing voice is the best, the best. I like a fair number of unfortunately less appreciated bands; Skeletal Family, Corupus Delicti, Big Electric Cat, 45 Grave, Mephisto Walz. Special mentions go to Cinema Strange and Voltaire, who stand outside the rest with the way they are. I've got a fairly expansive taste in other things as well, Punk and Folk (Celtic) springs to mind, but that is for another place.

I am not so deeply ingrained into the social aspect of the subculture; I read Goth.net every so often but I rarely speak. I've managed a mere 290 posts since 2008. I certainly don't go clubbing, although I'd be willing to give one a try I suppose.

However, I do see and agree with what kind of attitude and cultural taste makes a Goth. Now this could go on for quite some time, more than I'd like to dedicate right now, to explain what kind of mindset I think separates Gothic Subculture from everyone else. Suffice to say, it is not like furries or gamers. Those are hobbies. One does not simply grow up with a view on life that makes them any such thing, but I do think there is a whole lot of life view that goes into what a Goth is.

Weasyl
    Pine
    I listen to a lot of metal and its' subgenres, and boy does it piss me off when people don't assume I do because "hurr durr you don't dress like a guy that listens to death metal."
    I guess wearing a black band tee and jeans isn't "brutal" enough for metalhead standards.

Seriously, if you think that you have to dress a certain way to be interested in a specific topic, you're a shallow asshole.
    Fuck fashion. Fuck trends. Like whatever you want to.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    I listen to a lot of metal and its' subgenres, and boy does it piss me off when people don't assume I do because "hurr durr you don't dress like a guy that listens to death metal."
    I guess wearing a black band tee and jeans isn't "brutal" enough for metalhead standards.

Seriously, if you think that you have to dress a certain way to be interested in a specific topic, you're a shallow asshole.
    Metalhead here, strong preference for slam and Brutal Death before moving on to melodeath, powermetal, symphonic metal, and the likes.

I'm the least metal-looking person I would say. Unless wearing a lot of black counts. I don't wear anything pointy. I don't even have long hair, and couldn't especially due to working in food. But I am a long boots person. Considering that metal is the core of my music diet, I too detest the idea that I need to get into the fashion/stereotype stuff to be considered part of the subculture.
    Last edited by FishNChips; 01-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Weasyl
    JiJi
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post

Conversely, when I started uni, I was a little more pierced and wore black, purple clothing mainly.
    My teacher forced me into the metal band with like 4 other guitarists just because how we were dressed, I kept asking to join the blues band for a change of playing.
    I hate people who assume they can know you off your dress sense, I mean play basketball when I can, I jog, I listen to various genres but people see my face and clothes and assume I have to like metal.

OT I don't have any erm.. direction to a subculture though, I just wander between places due to music mainly.
    Pine's post made me want to talk. I'll leave now.

dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam

Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Not to sound as if I am being controlling here folks, but I'd appreciate it if we'd shift back onto the topic of Gothic Subculture (Which, Deathrockers for all intents and purposes really are the same thing; Deathrock just tends to have a stronger Punk influence). I understand that there are plenty of metalheads that get mistaken for Goths, and plenty of Goths that like Metal. But the difference between say Ozzy Osbourne and Peter Murphy is pretty drastic.

Truth be told if you are going by what the music is like, Gothic Rock and Metal are the antithesis of each other.

Might I suggest a Metal thread, if there isn't one already?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    Might I suggest a Metal thread, if there isn't one already?
    They always end up being filled with 'cores and rock music that is mistaken for metal simply due to the use of distorted guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    They always end up being filled with 'cores and rock music that is mistaken for metal simply due to the use of distorted guitars.
    Aww yeah, genre warfare.
    I always enjoy the longass youtube comment chains where two people argue what genre a certain song is and they both end up being wrong and change their opinion a thousand times.
    I want this on Weasyl. Make this happen.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Last edited by FishNChips; 01-08-2014 at 12:27 PM.