Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fay's Journal

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Weasyl
    Fayv

Fay's Journal

Last edited by Fay V; 01-04-2014 at 03:06 AM.

Keep on churning those out! Especially where you are loosening up and breaking the stiffness, which is a trap I fall into very often myself.

Artists who I admire that have a great way of depicting loosened up characters are Ron Tiner (who also wrote Figure Drawing Without a Model) and Iain Mccaig.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I'll have to check those guys out, thanks for the information! And yeah, my stuff has been getting way too static. It's nice to just do stuff and play with different styles.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Are you a fan of Avatar the Last Airbender? It is nice to see you start up, and I hope to see more. Claire Wendling and Daphne Yap are also aritsts I enjoy seeing use such an interesting line style. James Jean is another.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I really like the energy behind a lot of these characters and poses. I'm really looking forward to seeing more from you.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Are you a fan of Avatar the Last Airbender? It is nice to see you start up, and I hope to see more. Claire Wendling and Daphne Yap are also aritsts I enjoy seeing use such an interesting line style. James Jean is another.
    It was the 3rd pic wasn't it lol. I do like avatar, though the similarity was incidental probably a lot of subconscious influence.

Thanks for the names. I'll definitely check them out. I am woefully ignorant about other artists, mostly because I am quite lazy and have just been a passive hobbyist for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    I really like the energy behind a lot of these characters and poses. I'm really looking forward to seeing more from you.
    Thank you. I think i'll be posting a lot more. These sketchbooks seem like a nice friendly way toward improvment.

I think the sketches look good, and I'm loving the third drawing because the pose is lovely and dynamic!
    Just a question, though: do you sometimes start drawing by first putting down an "action"-line?

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    I think the sketches look good, and I'm loving the third drawing because the pose is lovely and dynamic!
    Just a question, though: do you sometimes start drawing by first putting down an "action"-line?
    I've been working on it more. For the people sketches no, I generally have a light line that's then a rough estimate for the spine. For the 3rd I used one to remember which direction I wanted him to go.
    In the recent sketches, the wesley one was me drawing lines and using it as an action line to work on it a bit, then I just started doing whatever.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9

Weasyl
    Fayv

Great, keep working those heads, something I picked up and liked was to not be afraid to really -exaggerate- certain features such as noses, jawlines, chins, etc. Go to the extremes with facial features, not necessarily by making them bigger, but also pushing, pinching shrinking...etc...perhaps by even looking at real references and bending them. Almost caricature like. You can try bring across the personalities of characters as manifestations of their physical features. (ruthless, naive, brave, spiteful...)