Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I am sorry but I am confused. Why would you need to finish on a white background when you can change things working in digital? It is another way to check your values and color harmony. It is almost like refusing to flip an image to check for errors. There is no harm in changing a background color to see what is working.

Just some food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I am sorry but I am confused. Why would you need to finish on a white background when you can change things working in digital? It is another way to check your values and color harmony. It is almost like refusing to flip an image to check for errors. There is no harm in changing a background color to see what is working.

Just some food for thought
    To me it just feels more natural to do it that way. I know I am not utilizing all the tricks I could with the pc, but quite frankly I don't see the big deal with this bg colour.
    Especially since I said I'll be experimenting with adjustment layers to bring in different lights/shades and overall colour theme. This is but a core image so far to add filters on. Think of a modern day pic being converted to a sepia, the real colours gotta be alright so it'll appear alright after the filters.

And I do the flip thing quite often and it has been of great help in the past, so don't worry about me refusing that. I am not that stupid.
    And do correct me if I am wrong, but if I wanted to find out values, the best thing for that is B&W, no?

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    And do correct me if I am wrong, but if I wanted to find out values, the best thing for that is B&W, no?

Ok, let me see how to answer this.

Values are not the same as color harmony. If something looks too middle range or not contrasted enough, you would check it in Black and White. But color perception is a different thing. This is why when people tell you to do paintings in black and white to get values correct, they still have a lot of work coloring. It isn't simple as "Well now I have this dark value, let me slap yellow on it" because it's no longer "yellow" as we perceive it.

There is also the fact our eyes are more receptive to certain types of color.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Called it, although a bit too late. Gonna be waiting to see him with a new walkietalkieearphonething.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Ok, let me see how to answer this.

Values are not the same as color harmony. If something looks too middle range or not contrasted enough, you would check it in Black and White. But color perception is a different thing. This is why when people tell you to do paintings in black and white to get values correct, they still have a lot of work coloring. It isn't simple as "Well now I have this dark value, let me slap yellow on it" because it's no longer "yellow" as we perceive it.

There is also the fact our eyes are more receptive to certain types of color.
    Well duh.
    I said values are better found out in B&W, and now you go on about how I'm wrong because B&W isn't good for colour harmony and imply I simply slap on colours.
    Yeah, no.
    Are you ignoring things on purpose for the sake of argument?

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I am not sure why you're coming off so angry? Just doing a B&W value check is not going to solve the problem with colors. Right now your image looks muddy because you're sticking with the intense white background. If you're going to work in color, the suggestion to change the canvas is a helpful one.

Your eyes are gravitating towards very middle and muddy values to overpower the white of the canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Your colors are looking a little muddy as QT said, but you've clearly been drawing fire arms for a little bit. Nice form on the (Half-Life?) SMG. It's coming together.
    Well it is still in the works with the colours n' all, I'll try to fix it when I get back at it.
    And the gun is supposed to be an Aug ;_;

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Add rainbow and skittle for BG. Best.

Last edited by SirCoffeecup; 01-13-2014 at 12:41 PM.