Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So, what do you do?

Weasyl
    Ruggy

So, what do you do?

I find myself curious about what everyone here does by way of a career (or just whatever you do to keep the lights on and a roof over your head.) Or what you'd like to do if you're still a student. Teachers? IT folks? Office drones? Are you flippin' some mean burgers while you build your woodworking business on the side? Going to school to be a nurse? Are you a nurse who's just doing it until you can publish your novel? Disabled, but filling your time with a craft of some kind? Butcher, baker, candlestick maker?

To start off, I have a position as someone who builds websites, kinda by accident. I was hired on by a teeny, tiny little marketing company as basic support. Monkey-level stuff, like 'please go change this picture, our client has no idea how the internet works'. Then enough people moved on that I just ended up inheriting the builds-websites job, to my simultaneous delight and dismay. I feel like something of a sham, but I'm doing my best to learn and improve so I can deliver a better product. I've discovered I quite like the problem-solving aspect of getting asked to do something I don't know how to do yet.

Still kinda feel like proper nerds are going to show up at some point, beat me up, and take my lunch money, though. >.>

So, tell me, how do you bring home the bacon? (Or... y'know, whatever you eat, if you don't eat bacon.) How did you get into doing it, and how do you like it?
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I am a desk jockey. I have done work like webmastering and I do freelancing work on the side. I work in an administrative position and often work with US Custom issues and transferring of freight. I have technical knowledge and have often been dubbed the secondary "IT person" at my workplace.

I don't mind the industry I work for but often times the workplace can be hostile rather than motivating, since this isn't the first place I have done this line of work.

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    I work in a warehouse, packing car parts. Technically I run a department, but not if you look at my payslip!

Trying to train to go back to uni, I want to pursue a career in teaching.
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Matt
    I'm currently in graduate school for linguistics. My hope is to pursue a PhD and then research, write, and teach for forever. Honestly, I can babble on about linguistics for as long as proximity and sprinting will let me. I love it, and my big career hope is to get a couple other people to love it too.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Full time student studying to become an animator. Full time worker as a CSR IT person. Thing. I'm always exhausted >:[

Freelance illustrator and painter.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Part-time patient care assistant at a hospital by night (at work right now, actually, my patient's sleeping :V), full-time clinical laboratory science student by day. Lately, though, I've decided to also apply to pharmacy school and shoot for a Pharm. D. since the list of prerequisites damn near perfectly matches all the coursework I've already taken. If I do well on the PCAT this summer and get accepted, I can look forward to four more years of school and a positively crushing amount of student debt, yay! Either way, I'm about to transfer to a university, so I'm actually going to take a bit of a gap year next year to save up enough dosh to put a modest dent in the cost of the final portion of my education while I finish up what few prereqs I still need or take anything left that will transfer as credits for my junior-level classes.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Fawna
    Nothing. The government pays me. Bless Australia, a nation of rich jobless people.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Haha yesss now I know your secrets. >:3 Not that... work is all that secret, I guess. Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I don't mind the industry I work for but often times the workplace can be hostile rather than motivating, since this isn't the first place I have done this line of work.
    D: That is no good. What ways is Customs hostile? I mean, I guess it doesn't surprise me overmuch, but I am curious as to how, if I may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by RainWizard View Post
    Trying to train to go back to uni, I want to pursue a career in teaching.
    Godspeed. I student-taught for a semester before ultimately deciding it was not for me. I have a whole new level of respect for good teachers now. What do you want to teach?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm currently in graduate school for linguistics. My hope is to pursue a PhD and then research, write, and teach for forever. Honestly, I can babble on about linguistics for as long as proximity and sprinting will let me. I love it, and my big career hope is to get a couple other people to love it too.
    Linguistics is pretty interesting! I can't say as I know all that much about it, but passionate teachers tend to be the best ones. Excitement can be infectious.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    Full time student studying to become an animator. Full time worker as a CSR IT person. Thing. I'm always exhausted >:[
    That's pretty cool. Looking to get into 2D, 3D, or just whatever kind of animation you can work on? Do you have a preference?

And dang, man, double full time? How do you ever have time for the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by WellZombie View Post
    Freelance illustrator and painter.
    Nice! I like what I've seen of your work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Part-time patient care assistant at a hospital by night (at work right now, actually, my patient's sleeping :V), full-time clinical laboratory science student by day. Lately, though, I've decided to also apply to pharmacy school and shoot for a Pharm. D. since the list of prerequisites damn near perfectly matches all the coursework I've already taken.
    Man, I totally thought you worked in some kind of finance. (Mostly because I can't fathom studying it that much if you didn't have to, but different strokes and all.) Those programs are tough, but they do seem to be worth it. My cousin's finishing up his pharmacy schoolin' and he is like an encyclopedia of the ways that medicines can go horribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawna View Post
    Nothing. The government pays me. Bless Australia, a nation of rich jobless people.
    Shit, they accepting applications for new bums? I work 40 hours a week just to not have very much money (after the loan payments). >:[
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I also just get paid by the government.

Australia, mate!