Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    So I mix a somewhat excessive amount of cheap instant coffee with some hot water, and...yeah, I'm easy to please. Stomach lined with iron.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    So I mix a somewhat excessive amount of cheap instant coffee with some hot water, and...yeah, I'm easy to please. Stomach lined with iron.
    I've tried that as well as cheap coffee.... I paid for it 15 minutes later. Poor toilet had to pay for my mistake.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Last edited by Roose Hurro; 09-30-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    That is ADORABLE! Plus, that face is truly the face of a caffeine-addict, haha.
    Not an addict... someone dedicated to the preservation of coffee. That is the face of coffee love!

One thing is that I cannot drink strong tea...at all. It is a specific intolerance to the tannins themselves. They come right back up. Tea tannins are supposed to be good for you, but I have an intolerance. They make me sick as a buzzard.

For my coffees, though, let me come out and say that I do have a weakness for very very very oily dark-roast coffee. I like to see actual grease shimmering on the outside of the bean. I want the beans to actually stain my hand. I want to be able to butter my morning toast by just rubbing the beans on it.

Now, before someone pipes up and makes fun of me for still liking dark roasts, now that the news is out that the lighter roast coffees have higher caffeine content and meow meow meow meow, I'm not drinking it just for the caffeine. For one thing, I happen to like the oilier roast. Secondly, dark roast still has some very cool health benefits:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21809439

Thirdly, it is easier on your stomach:

http://www.wired.com/2010/03/why-dar...-your-stomach/

Lately, there is this fad to avoid any kind of processed food. Have fun. I'm going to keep my espresso.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    One thing is that I cannot drink strong tea...at all. It is a specific intolerance to the tannins themselves. They come right back up. Tea tannins are supposed to be good for you, but I have an intolerance. They make me sick as a buzzard.

For my coffees, though, let me come out and say that I do have a weakness for very very very oily dark-roast coffee. I like to see actual grease shimmering on the outside of the bean. I want the beans to actually stain my hand. I want to be able to butter my morning toast by just rubbing the beans on it.

Now, before someone pipes up and makes fun of me for still liking dark roasts, now that the news is out that the lighter roast coffees have higher caffeine content and meow meow meow meow, I'm not drinking it just for the caffeine. For one thing, I happen to like the oilier roast. Secondly, dark roast still has some very cool health benefits
    Hey, another dark roast person. What you have described sir, sounds absolutely delicious. For me though, its the viscosity of darker roasts that I like. The thicker, heavier texture makes me slow down and appreciate it more. The same applies to dark beer. My condolences on not being able to enjoy strong tea though.
    Hi ya. My name of Keoma Red.
    My avatar is my coloring of a free template by Rukifox. It wouldn't be fair to not mention that.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #218
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I love a good dark roast as well. Dark things for some reason are more appealing during the cold seasons, even though they're the same physical temperature as the light teas and coffees. So in Autumn and winter, love them French roasts and black teas and whatnot.

I also could care less about health benefits because for one, I can't help but mistrust such claims given the general level of competency displayed by people who report on medical studies (half of whom apparently don't even make the effort to read an abstract of a paper before trying to describe the results of it), and for two, I don't drink coffee for its health benefits, but for the flavor and the caffeine.

I will say, though, that I always thought there was something a little off about Starbucks dark roasts, and I later learned that they purposely burn the hell out of their beans because then it's easier to maintain a consistent flavor across all their millions of international stores. So there appears to be a way to do a dark roast right, and a way to do it wrong. Maybe Starbarks is better ^

Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    I will say, though, that I always thought there was something a little off about Starbucks dark roasts, and I later learned that they purposely burn the hell out of their beans because then it's easier to maintain a consistent flavor across all their millions of international stores. So there appears to be a way to do a dark roast right, and a way to do it wrong. Maybe Starbarks is better ^
    I stopped drinking Starbucks after you mentioned this quite a while ago, I think? I mean, at first I thought you had to be joking. However, when I ordered a very plain latte (no syrups or sugar to mask anything), the coffee tasted beyond bitter and had a burnt aftertaste. And while I'm used to drinking coffee with milk in there only, this was just.. I wouldn't exactly say 'vile', but it was unpleasant. :c

Nowadays, I just make my cold-brew / pumpkin spice lattes and everything at home, tbh. It's cheaper, healthier and honestly, it tastes better too. The only downside is that pumpkin spice is difficult to get around here (if not just nigh impossible), but that's where having awesome penpals comes in handy.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #220
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I probably did mention it before. Hell, I probably mentioned it before in this very thread, but you know I'm far too lazy to scroll back up and check. ;-)

Anyway, for all their marketing themselves as a fancy-pants la-dee-da artisan coffee place, it's a huge chain and therefore they have to take shortcuts. They probably make a lot of their money off of the warm milkshakes they serve anyhow, so the actual taste of their coffee maybe doesn't matter so much.