Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    That's the good thing about the city where I study, to be honest.

It's kiiiiind of a hipster-y city, but that also means they have some pretty damn amazing, ACTUALLY artisan coffeeplaces. Where you can get a coffee with honey in there and still taste the bitterness of the coffee with the hint of honey, without getting a straight-up sugarshot.

Plus, I mean.. once you learn to drink your coffee (or tea) without sugar, it's kind of hard to adjust back to drinking something that doesn't even remotely taste like coffee. Just like how, once you're used to the blackest of black chocolates, it's kind of hard to go back to milk chocolate (or white 'chocolate'. Blergh).

Well, the German Research Centre for Food Chemistry, which actually did that research on the health benefits, is a part of the Leibniz Association, which is, as far as I know, a reputable, state-funded organization, but anyhow...

I had a bad, bad first experience with Starbucks. Apparently, the first place I went to had failed to keep the taps clean, so it smelled literally like rotten fish. It was awful.

When I complained, the person behind the counter had the nerve to me to say, "Well, this coffee is stronger than the stuff you're used to, so it takes a while for some people to get used to it."

I said, "I make mine strong enough to stand up and run for political office, and I also know what good coffee tastes like and smells like, having gone to fancier places than this one. This crap is rancid." Really, I'm not usually like that, but that insinuation that that I was some unappreciative philistine sort of got my dander up.

Years later, I tried another location in another state, and it was adequate. The Komodo Dragon blend is actually not bad, particularly if you ask for the French press. I felt sort of guilty for judging the whole business based on the mismanagement of one location.

I have actually become a fan of pourovers, too. I was skeptical for years, but now I'm in love.
    Last edited by Christiaan; 10-04-2015 at 02:55 PM.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #223
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    Well, the German Research Centre for Food Chemistry, which actually did that research on the health benefits, is a part of the Leibniz Association, which is, as far as I know, a reputable, state-funded organization, but anyhow...
    The studies are often done very well. The reporting on them tends not to be, was more my point, because good science usually doesn't produce headline-worthy results. For example, the one you linked to seemed to be talking about a significant but still fairly mild effect (of order 10%) on a sample of 30 people. I can imagine someone taking that and writing a headline like "DARK ROAST COFFEE SHOWN TO CURE OBESITY AND REVERSE AGING".

Oh, yeah, the reporting on these things is pretty hideous. I also hate negative reporting that skews the facts. You hear people say "scientists feed rats three times their body-weight in aspartame, and they find slight shrinkage in an obscure organ you didn't know you had." That's how it SHOULD be reported, but the problem is that journalists know it's always faddish to see any kind of synthetic ingredient as inherently evil. It therefore ends up being trumpeted all over the media until you finally find yourself explaining to otherwise intelligent individuals, no, aspartame is not going to kill you. You shouldn't be consuming eight sodas a day ANYWAY, regardless of the sweetener used, but what you really ought to be worried about is what the carbonated water is doing to your teeth.

So I do see what you mean. My boyfriend's father is a doctor (and a hilarious and eccentric Cuban man), and when my boyfriend's ex convinced him to go vegan, he tried to convince his father that going vegan would be a very good idea and might help him live longer. He tried to lecture his father on all the "unhealthy and bad for you" things he was eating. His father (remember, he's a doctor) retorted by reciting all of the fad diets of the past that have been proved later on to be bad for you, and he said, "You're going to keep eating that tofu because you think it's good for you, and then you'll find out it's giving you toe-cancer." Imagine that in a thick, gruff Cuban accent.

So basically, I read you. I myself was actually having a reaction to the "raw foods" fad. Now, everyone is trying to get you to drink light roast coffee, saying it has higher caffeine anyway. There have been a lot of people wanting to drink lighter roasts since it was found that heavily cooked foods of any kind contain a suspected carcinogen. There is even a Huffington Post article making fun of people and basically telling them they're suckers if they like the dark roasts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nichol...b_2573097.html

This is one of those articles stating strong opinions based on research that the author obviously does not fully understand. Obviously, he doesn't even understand that most of us who are drinking the darker roasts actually happen to find them preferable. Notice, Nicholas Thompson ends his article with the statement, "This is The Way," which is funny because it's the stereotypical language of someone who has NO IDEA what he is talking about.

And that is why I like to tell people that I usually prefer cheap instant coffee. I will tell you why: there is not a single thing that fresh coffee inherently has over it. Not ONE. Notice, I say "inherently," and I say that word for very good reason. The thing is, most people don't know how to shop for a good coffee bean, and they're just as likely--because they don't know what they're doing--to buy some burnt robusta as they are to buy something that is actually good. At least the instant stuff has the benefit that the processing happens to concentrate the flavinoids and phenols, lending to a superior smell.

The only time you get any benefit off of relatively fresh coffee beans is if you actually shop for the beans themselves in a place that has open containers that permit you to hunt by scent. I don't always have money for it, but if you let me loose in a place where that stuff is sold, I'll be sniffing around like a hound-dog. I always go for whatever has the most pungent scent to it. I love to smell those oils wafting up. That, to me, is the most beautiful smell.

I also have particular estates that I like to buy from. One of them I buy from because they give a portion of their coffee beans to a charity operation that my grandmother volunteers for. The Azotea estate has apparently done some good things for local charities near Antigua, Guatemala, their coffee is good, and their brand is reputable. That is my favorite Christmas present, or I sometimes get it as a birthday present. I think that coffee grown on reputable estates is the best possible gift because it has a sort of personal aspect. You know that the grower is someone who respects you. Although it's not necessarily a better coffee, it does feel sort of good, in your mind, to have that sense of connection.
    Last edited by Christiaan; 10-05-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    It has been a while since I was really into coffee, but I tried Dutch Brothers (west coast chain) for the first time the other day... holy sugar, batman O.o i thought i was turning diabetic for a second there... that being said, definitely better than most chains out there n.n

When i did drink my tates went back and forth, but i never enjoyed light roasts or flavored roasts.. they always made me feel sick.

My brother-in-law and his father roast their own beans. Unfortunately i couldnt tell you much more than that though

Weasyl
    N/A
    Dutch Bros is pretty decent! They're an Oregon chain that just recently started making its way into California, I just recently got one down the street.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I've been a tea person all my life down to being brought up in two counties that are very big on it indeed.
    Nothing beats a cup of Ceylon or English Breakfast, brewed until strong in a small mug, 1 teaspoon of sugar and enough full-cream milk to make it a deep tan colour.
    I've also recently gifted some Matcha for my birthday a while ago and it's incredible stuff.

I'm also trying to get into coffee now so I can try to appreciate the complexity of it.
    Will probably go through previous posts here so look for recommendations

Weasyl
    Riley
    My mom and I went to DAVIDsTEA the other day and got three teas: walnut, chocolate orange, and spice. They're all really good. I prefer tea in tea bags because it's easier, but loose leaf tea is good too.

I just came back from a study abroad in Costa Rica and they have a great drink called "agua dulce", which translates as sweat water and boy is it sweet! I have been able to replicate it back home because I bought a Costa Rican cook book. Basically you take an entire bag (20 oz) of dark brown sugar (or unrefined cane sugar) OR a block of unrefined cane sugar. Boil three cups of water and dump that sweet stuff in there and stir occasionally on medium for (my recipe said 15 minutes but it took more like 45) until it becomes a thick syrup. Then you boil water in a kettle like usual for tea and pour a cup in a mug. Add about 2 tablespoons to each mug and there you go! Agua dulce. A little bit of milk is nice and what I have found is that to add extra flavor you can add your favorite flavor of tea. I like mint with agua dulce and milk. Its awesome.