Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A

Text submissions ignoring formatting

Hello, staff-people. I'm having a problem on the mainsite with text submissions. At first everything displayed correctly, but today a submission of mine is being displayed like so:

This is the first lineThis should be on the second lineWoah what's the third line doing here?I'm scared man this is fourth

Instead of:

First
    Second
    Third

-line break-

First
    Second
    Third

I've tried resubmitting the file several times, using different editors but this is still happening. For the time being I've deleted it until I can figure out what's wrong. Can anyone help me with this please?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Is it a .doc or a .txt file? Because I found that it derps up anything other than .txt
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Is it a .doc or a .txt file? Because I found that it derps up anything other than .txt
    I've tried both now, keeps giving me the same result.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    charmander
    I’ve gone through all four of your deleted submissions, and they look fine to me – one PDF rendered correctly by PDF.js and downloadable, and three regular text files, correct?

If you’re still experiencing the same problem, could you send a screenshot? Otherwise – and if it was the plain-text ones in particular – we did a move to Markdown today, and you’ll need to add two spaces at the end of each line to make a line break (see the Markdown help for details on line breaks).

We might change that.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by charmander View Post
    I’ve gone through all four of your deleted submissions, and they look fine to me – one PDF rendered correctly by PDF.js and downloadable, and three regular text files, correct?

If you’re still experiencing the same problem, could you send a screenshot? Otherwise – and if it was the plain-text ones in particular – we did a move to Markdown today, and you’ll need to add two spaces at the end of each line to make a line break (see the Markdown help for details on line breaks).

We might change that.
    That's correct, yes. I was thinking it was something to do with Markdown, another user here reported similar problems making a journal entry.

Anyways I followed your advice and read the help page, and managed to get line breaks working. But for the life of me I cannot get paragraphs working. I've tried every combination of spacing and line breaking I can think of and it still wont work! I've resubmitted the same file with modifications four times in the last ten minutes and still nothing.

Still, having line breaks working now is a vast improvement and I thank you for your help.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    charmander
    A paragraph is just two line breaks; I think you had it working the first time!

Code:
    This is a paragraph –  
    well, not quite, it’s very formed –  
    but it works as an example

And this? This is another.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I keep trying, but it wont work! I really cant understand what I've done wrong this time, though I could just be that stupid.

Edit: for now I'll stick to Google Docs, I think. I'll admit to user error, so you can lock this incase any one thinks there really is a problem with text formatting.
    Last edited by Krespo; 01-03-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Weasyl
    WildOak
    I am having the same problem with paragraphs. I took a screenshot of both the original txt file and the output:
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/310724

I've tried putting in extra spaces and extra returns, but it doesn't change anything. How do I make paragraphs?

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    charmander
    Those are separate paragraphs; the margins just aren’t particularly big! (Try adding some single line breaks for comparison.) I don’t think this is any different from what we had before, but those can definitely be adjusted. Thanks for pointing it out.

Weasyl
    WildOak
    Quote Originally Posted by charmander View Post
    Those are separate paragraphs; the margins just aren’t particularly big! (Try adding some single line breaks for comparison.) I don’t think this is any different from what we had before, but those can definitely be adjusted. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Ah, ok, I can sort of see that. There definitely needs to be more space between paragraphs though. It does make a big difference when you're posting a longer story. Compare with this one:
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/21...and-adventures
    This older submission is very easy to read. With the new spacing it would be a wall of text.

Thanks for your help