Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouya

Weasyl
    Demu
    Here's an example of what kind of graphics a Tegra 3 processor can pull off:

I'm personally a huge advocate of indie games so I think I have some bias towards Ouya. They probably focused too much on telling people that it was a completely open platform that they neglected the specifications and other important information.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Only if it plays stuff better than a PC
    Which it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Demu View Post
    Here's an example of what kind of graphics a Tegra 3 processor can pull off:

I'm personally a huge advocate of indie games so I think I have some bias towards Ouya. They probably focused too much on telling people that it was a completely open platform that they neglected the specifications and other important information.
    That and they focused too much on being "hi-tech" and forgot about the many countries who don't have access to good Internet.

The Ouya might be fairly successful in the US and some parts of Europe, but that's it. It's extremely limited.

I was excited and first did pledge. But got 2nd thoughts and pulled out again. On paper it all sounds great but I rather wait and see. If it ends up working out for them decently I'll buy one later as it's price point and internet bandwidth aren't issues for me.

So far the things that most irk me is that they are still in the prototype stage. There is no true functional unit yet. And they promote Minecraft like a sure game and use it in screens when nothing has been set into stone yet for it to even come out. I know that by now some have said they wanted to be exclusive on Ouyu. But the initial marketing and made up screenshots seemed a bit deceptive. Don't promote what you don't have.
    Last edited by Stormdragonblue; 08-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it. I like their do-what-you-want concept.

Neat.

Competition to check out: Pandora and Raspberry Pi.

Raspberry Pi in the sense it is no bigger than a credit card and that you can possibly run simple emulation on it, possibly MAME and MAYBE even up to PS1 if you're getting cocky. Cheaper than any handheld, though it requires peripherals and a large-capacity MicroSD card. (If you were creative and handy you COULD turn it into an effective handheld though)

Pandora pretty much runs portable linux and has c-sticks and stuff, apparently.

I'm on nails and needles x3
    UDK for Android officially announced, OUYA... Oh man, this will be the golden age of indie devs!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexVixgeck View Post
    I'm on nails and needles x3
    UDK for Android officially announced, OUYA... Oh man, this will be the golden age of indie devs!
    Indie games are already in their golden age.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    Indie games are already in their golden age.
    Come on! You know what I meant there (Anyway I'm not talking about indie games, but indie developers)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexVixgeck View Post
    Come on! You know what I meant there (Anyway I'm not talking about indie games, but indie developers)
    Same thing.

It's all about the indy right now and the OUYa capitalizes on that

It's probably worth remembering that Dead Trigger levels are only generally a corridor long. Tegra3 isn't as powerful as say Snapdragon4 or an AMD bobcat, but it's around there. But you'll likely not see Left4Dead on there anytime soon.

I'm all for indie development and its great they show support, but I've got a feeling many indie devs will choose to stay with the PC because it's still an open platform and much more powerful. Alternatively keeping on the android market, the problem with that in itself is that its largest share is in touchscreen gaming. You're going to miss out on quite a few million people if you develop plainly for Ouya.

It's a bit of a shame UDK licenses still cost $50,000.