Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ouya

Nope, they changed their licensing system. You can make free games without any fee. If you want to sell your creations, you can get an Indie dev license for 99 bucks. And, if your earnings exceed 50.000, they get the 25% of every sell/microtransaction from that point.

Well Namco Bandai looks like they're on board, so maybe more localized Gundam games.

Also, Hawken is developer confirmed, so fuck year.

I'm 99% sure it's a very misguided idea and it will fall through.

The idea of having an AWESOME LOTS OF FREE TO PLAY GAMES THAT ARE GOOD console is basically an idea that's way too good to be true. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be GREAT, I'm just saying, it seems like every possible business model that this thing is trying to cover is already present on some other thing and done a lot better. Even the biggest and best FtP game they mentioned, TF2, was something you actually had to PURCHASE for YEARS before they finally made it free to like the four people that didn't own it yet.

But no BIG DEVELOPER is going to want to develop for the thing, especially with the huge limits that the android operating system imposes. That shit is for smartphones, not video game consoles, and so they'll be inherently limited in what they can put out... Especially because, with the free to play model being imposed there's a substantial risk that they might not make their development costs back.

The companies that will go for this and make games on it are, I think, really small developers who make really simple iPhone games now. So I mean, yeah, if you wanna play Angry Birds on your television, I guess its the console for you!!! But meanwhile, I'm just going to keep playing those games on my iDevices.

... Not to mention the fact that $8,000,000 seems like hardly enough to develop/market/whatever else something like a video game console.

Weasyl
    Demu
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'm 99% sure it's a very misguided idea and it will fall through.

The idea of having an AWESOME LOTS OF FREE TO PLAY GAMES THAT ARE GOOD console is basically an idea that's way too good to be true. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be GREAT, I'm just saying, it seems like every possible business model that this thing is trying to cover is already present on some other thing and done a lot better. Even the biggest and best FtP game they mentioned, TF2, was something you actually had to PURCHASE for YEARS before they finally made it free to like the four people that didn't own it yet.

But no BIG DEVELOPER is going to want to develop for the thing, especially with the huge limits that the android operating system imposes. That shit is for smartphones, not video game consoles, and so they'll be inherently limited in what they can put out... Especially because, with the free to play model being imposed there's a substantial risk that they might not make their development costs back.

The companies that will go for this and make games on it are, I think, really small developers who make really simple iPhone games now. So I mean, yeah, if you wanna play Angry Birds on your television, I guess its the console for you!!! But meanwhile, I'm just going to keep playing those games on my iDevices.

... Not to mention the fact that $8,000,000 seems like hardly enough to develop/market/whatever else something like a video game console.
    Lots of good points. I think their model includes free to play, and free to "try" games. I'm sure most will be free to try but then purchase for a small fee as per usual indie game prices (up to $20ish). At least I hope they do that. ):

But yeah, I personally hope it DOES succeed. I love the idea. But people are finding more reasons why it might not make the cut and it is starting to seem somewhat too good to be true indeed!

We'll see how it all goes down, I guess!

Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Quote Originally Posted by BudgieBin View Post
    Raspberry Pi in the sense it is no bigger than a credit card and that you can possibly run simple emulation on it, possibly MAME and MAYBE even up to PS1 if you're getting cocky. Cheaper than any handheld, though it requires peripherals and a large-capacity MicroSD card. (If you were creative and handy you COULD turn it into an effective handheld though)
    That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. With the GPIO ports? It's like a super microcontroller. AND 35 DOLLARS? It may just be my geek side talking, but I must have one. Why did you have to mention that? D:

Not interested in it. I like buying my games used or in bundles/sales so it would basically need a Steam model for someone as stingy as I am.

I think any game console can succeed with the right library. The PS2 was the weakest console in the 6th generation yet it had the most third-party support.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    Neybulot
    I put in for the $25 rewards with the founder medal thing. Not interested in the console itself until it comes out and gets a good following before I grab one.

Can't wait until it fails so I can buy a $10 emulating box for my flat screen.

Quote Originally Posted by fer View Post
    Can't wait until it fails so I can buy a $10 emulating box for my flat screen.
    Exactly the same reason i would buy this!