Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Oh man. It's pretty cool just how realistic some 3D renderings are in movies. I can't imagine how much time that takes to get it that convincing. Imagine video games with constant in game graphics like that.

Anyway, got another one for you. I was watching this AVGN episode and he got to a part where he briefly went over his equipment. The camera USED was 3 grand. And that's just for AVGN (I'm not sure what else he uses it for). He puts a lot of effort into it, yeah, but it's not as high budget as a huge feature film or TV show. So what's some of the most expensive equipment someone could use?
    Honestly if James is using a $3,000 camera for the work he does then he overpaid. His work isn't exactly an example of a technical powerhouse. Not trying to diss his work, just that he could achieve the same or better quality out of a DSLR camera he could pay $800 or less for.

As far as the cost of cameras, it all depends. RED cameras which are often used for cinematic films can run anywhere from 20-25 thousand. Phantom high speed cameras, the kind used by Rooster Teeth's "The Slow-Mo Guys" and can record upwards of 22,000 frames per second can get up to 150k.

Of course these are just for the cameras themselves, not including extra lenses, tripods, and other accessories. High-end video equipment ain't cheap. You'd need to take our several mortgages to pay off some of these things.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen you talk about your preferred "loadout" when filming. What's YOUR favorite and most reliable equipment? I'm going to assume different equipment is for different jobs. So just of the tasks you feel you're often given what are your preferred?
    Oh hey! Sorry for not getting back to you on this earlier.

Well for camera equipment I've been using Canon DSLRs. What I used for a long time was a T3i for commercials and some music videos. Audio-wise I have a rig that works for me using a H4N digital audio recorder hooked up a Sennheiser lav mic and stick mic backup. I have an optional shotgun mic but the H4N usually picks up ambient sound pretty well on its own so I don't use it often unless I need to conceal a mic somewhere. Lighting wise I have a couple of Limo studio dimmable LEDs that work just fine for me. Plus I have some friends who lend me lights if I need them.

At one of my jobs in the city we use Ikegami shoulder cams on our peds and our Triangle jib uses an Ikegami box cam which makes it easy to use with the Dutch that's on the jib. Our mics are Sony wireless lavs, at least the ones that aren't hard lined.