Weasyl
    N/A

Plagiarism Prevention

If you're anything like me, the second you come up with a good riff or melody you think 'aww crap, I think I heard this somewhere before'. It's a very unpleasant feeling, and the doubt it brings can make you abandon working on a piece altogether.

SO

I propose that if any musicians have doubts on anything, be it melody or lyric, post it here and ask for help in the matter. An example post would go something like this: "I wrote this riff but I think it sounds a lot like a Black Sabbath song [link to riff]". If you have no idea which artist you think you may have plagiarised, post it anyway, someone might be able to help. This will be more difficult with music than lyrics of course, as simply using a search engine will let you know if you have plagiarised lyrics.

IMPORTANCE: there is a difference between accidental plagiarism and simply being influenced by an artist. It can be difficult sometimes to tell them apart, but this thread is a place for support and to hopefully find answers.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Considering the amount of music out there, isn't it kind of difficult to NOT "plagarize" another work?

Someone posted on FAF about the theme music to one of the latest Halo games ripping off some much older documentary about wolves in the first few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qDz7K1nbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPmmnCSlpqQ

The intros to THESE two songs are similar in ways but considering all the rest of the stuff that's gone into it it's hard to think of the latter as a ripoff of any sort.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Indeed Gibgob, they are similar. And this is difficult, yes. The point is to weed out any direct plagiarism, for example if someone comes up with this and thinks it's original. I've lost track of the songs I've heard over my life, and one time I 'wrote' Metal Gods. Were it only something that sounded similar that would be fine, but the intro and chorus were near identical. My 'original' followed the same structure and was a blatant music-thievery.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Well... You could always upload your riff to YouTube and let Content ID do its thing.

:V

... The sad thing is, that's actually a novel idea...

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Well... You could always upload your riff to YouTube and let Content ID do its thing.

:V

... The sad thing is, that's actually a novel idea...
    Explain yourself, technical-minded-type-person. I'm trying to do something helpful here, any resources you can think of to help stop accidental song-swiping would be appreciated.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Explain yourself, technical-minded-type-person. I'm trying to do something helpful here, any resources you can think of to help stop accidental song-swiping would be appreciated.
    It's quite simple really; In YouTube's case, Content ID basically compares your video against a database of known songs and stuff for copyright infringement / etc. Only really works on the big ones, but if your video gets flagged, it's time to look at changing the riff.

Maybe a bit better idea would be to use a service like Shazam or something to try and ID the song.

Weasyl
    JiJi
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    It's quite simple really; In YouTube's case, Content ID basically compares your video against a database of known songs and stuff for copyright infringement / etc. Only really works on the big ones, but if your video gets flagged, it's time to look at changing the riff.

Maybe a bit better idea would be to use a service like Shazam or something to try and ID the song.
    Soundhound is a bit better as you can him songs into that, so I assume its recognition is more sensitive. Shazam never spotted anything I wanted identified.

dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam

Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    Nothing worse than feeling awesome about a song you've started writing, then realising it sounds similar to a song you know well.

I suppose it's a sub-concious thing, thinking about influential music when writing causing similar-sounding songs.

I tend to try and avoid listening to music anytime when I'm writing, sounds simple but suprisingly effective
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"