Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
    That is an amazing design! I think the color palette really works, especially with the sharp contrast in the visor. The way you designed the legs/feet is awesome, the detail is fantastic!
    I honestly have no idea how I took so long to dither around. I was worried about too much dark, then too much contrast, too much warm, too cool...I ended up making myself scour a color palette blog to give me inspiration so I could finally settle, haha. And thank you! My favorite part of his design also happen to be his feet and legs so it makes me happy that you noticed them especially.

Weasyl
    Viciviser

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Viciviser View Post
    I love that you have an anthro manticore! I have one myself. His name is Alastor.
    Creyroos is awesome. Love his execution. Yes, the ink is easy enough to read.

To break it down a little, the inked one is stronger simply due to the contrast, but there is some confusion to me here on which has the correct facial proportions. The ink his eyes are closer together; his nose smaller. His facial planes are more defined. The pencil drawing has something a little off about his eyes. Seems to be the spacing; a bit too far apart.

I'd say the emphasis on his contours in the inked one is certainly more complementary to him and makes him many times more expressive beyond his expression.

The pencil drawing has more detail and obviously more time put into it. There is certainly a charm to it. The weakest spot of the pencil though is the neck. It might have been better to use hatching or cross-hatching sparingly. Maybe keeping it tight so as not to stand out much from the soft shade around. It would also do well to harden the lines on the piercings. They are easily identified in the ink but the pencil sketch makes it hard to notice them.
    Really now? That's pretty awesome! Manticores hold a special place in my heart as one of my favorite types of vicious man-eating monsters so it's great to hear others have characters based off of them. I'll make sure to tell the partner you like him, since he's his character (I just happened to design Creyroos for him).

Secondly, thank you kindly for the wonderful, thoughtful critique! All of your points are good ones and highlight everything that I was trying to practice with regarding media in it. It's been over a year since I've made those and since discovered myriad little mistakes and discrepancies, especially in regards to consistency of his facial proportions (which you so keenly noticed). And the shading on his neck. I'm better than I was a year ago but necks have always given me difficultly.

On to Quinrothee. The pencil drawing is actually the better one here. The lines are sharper and the vibrant color hugs those contours so well. Your highlights on it are genius. It really makes him(?) feel much more alive. Not to say the ink is lacking. It is very good too. But that color on the pencil makes it pop. Gorgeous creature.
    It took me a quick heartbeat to realize what "pencil" drawing you were talking about, but that drawing on the left is actually not done in pencil but ballpoint pen! I don't blame you for the mix up though since ballpoint acts and looks very close to pencil strokes, especially with the way I tend to use them. Even after a full year I'm still proud of that portrait, so thank you! As a side note Quinrothee is a female but since it's hard to tell with dragons and I never mentioned a gender anyway it's absolutely no big deal to me.
    Last edited by Sparkyopteryx; 05-14-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Really liking the design! Post it!!

I really love the fleshed out quality of your work. All of your characters look solid and grounded, and your skill with ink is incredible!

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    That Absinthe and AsuraHena <3