Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I'm not very good at cooking and find it annoying, but I made these for an event last weekend to give away as gifts because they're cheap, easy, and delicious: http://cookiesandcups.com/3-ingredie...r-oat-squares/ They were a big hit despite being kinda sticky.

I made a double batch because I knew I would end up eating a lot of them myself. >.>
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    UndyingSong
    THOSE LOOK SO GOOD, Ruggy! And they really are super easy, my goodness! I'm going to have to make them :3

Weasyl
    N/A
    I love to cook on my days off.

Last weekend, I was messing around, and came up with a tasty way to make sea scallops:

I took a large, shallow pan and coated it in just a bit of olive oil, and cranked the heat up. (gas range) Prior to the oil smoking, I added the scallops, and cooked them for about a minute on the one side, flipped them, then caramelized them by adding a splash of potato vodka, which made a nice burst of flames. Poof! (watch your fur!) Presto, done...easy to overcook these!

Then I served them on a lime-honey-fennel reduction I'd made earlier, and it turned out quite well, the citrus and fennel played off the sweetness of the scallops nicely. I felt ready to face Gordon Ramsey. Well, not really, I was just lucky...but I do like to experiment.

Now, I'm craving something more hearty...I've made homemade chicken pot-pies before, but this time, I think I'm gonna try the idea with duck. I figure duck is richer, just have to be careful not to make the filling too rich/fatty, and I'll be in business.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #224

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by SimoSkunk View Post
    I love to cook on my days off.

Last weekend, I was messing around, and came up with a tasty way to make sea scallops:

I took a large, shallow pan and coated it in just a bit of olive oil, and cranked the heat up. (gas range) Prior to the oil smoking, I added the scallops, and cooked them for about a minute on the one side, flipped them, then caramelized them by adding a splash of potato vodka, which made a nice burst of flames. Poof! (watch your fur!) Presto, done...easy to overcook these!

Then I served them on a lime-honey-fennel reduction I'd made earlier, and it turned out quite well, the citrus and fennel played off the sweetness of the scallops nicely. I felt ready to face Gordon Ramsey. Well, not really, I was just lucky...but I do like to experiment.

Now, I'm craving something more hearty...I've made homemade chicken pot-pies before, but this time, I think I'm gonna try the idea with duck. I figure duck is richer, just have to be careful not to make the filling too rich/fatty, and I'll be in business.
    That sounds great! Did you happen to take any pictures?
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    That sounds great! Did you happen to take any pictures?
    Thanks! No, but next time, I'll have to. I did singe a few hairs on the caramelizing bit. Why is it so fun to add alcohol to a hot pan and see it go woosh?

Oh, your avi...it reminds of that book, How to Read Donald Duck. A friend lent me a copy once, wish I still had it...

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #226

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by SimoSkunk View Post
    Thanks! No, but next time, I'll have to. I did singe a few hairs on the caramelizing bit. Why is it so fun to add alcohol to a hot pan and see it go woosh?

Oh, your avi...it reminds of that book, How to Read Donald Duck. A friend lent me a copy once, wish I still had it...
    I'm planning steak with a cognac pan sauce for a date night in two weeks so I'll be losing a few hairs soon myself. ^^

And heh, I believe that was the inspiration for the image series actually, though I didn't make them myself (well, aside from putting them in .gif format). 9/11/1971 never forget. :V
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm pretty bummed out that i couldn't do a pumpkin pie this yr, or even baked seeds! D; ah well, always next yr hopefully.

Gonna share a neat dish that's good for feeding around 4-5 people and was probably the first thing i learned to cook xD idk if I posted it in this thread already or not, pretty sure i haven't tho :3

4-5 small/medium size skinless boneless chicken (i forgot wut theyre called but theyre like pieces, alittle bigger a hand)
    2 cups rice
    2 heads broccoli

2 cans mushroom soup (i use campbells)
    3/4 package black diamond cheese (or any cheese, shredded)
    Tiny bit of corn starch

I start by boiling the chicken, have it on bout medium high. Cut up the broccoli (make sure to wash!) into bite sized pieces and boil on bout medium or bit under. Get the rice going (it'll most likely b ready before everything else so it's alright to set it off to the side while other stuff is cooking)

Now the cheese sauce - get the 2 cans of mushroom soup an empty into pot, slowly add in milk (2 cans worth, just pour milk into them) and stir so theres no clumps an put on the stove at bout medium heat & add in the shredded cheese to it. Remember to stir often! After the cheese has melted, in a separate cup stir up a little bit (1-2tbsp) of corn starch w/ little bit of milk an pour into the cheese/mushroom sauce. You want it to be thin enough but have it a bit thick so its not leakin everywhere. After everythings cooked through (40 ~hr cooking period) just put everything (including sauce) into a big pot an mix altogether thats able to go into the oven @ 370 for 10-15min (make sure has lid) . Make sure to drain the broccoli before hand obv xD one big mess of chicken broccoli & rice, but it's tasty! :3

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Anyone have ideas for what to add to Butternut Squash Soup to make it more interesting?

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #229

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    Anyone have ideas for what to add to Butternut Squash Soup to make it more interesting?
    Anything that works for pumpkin generally will work for butternut as well. That hardly qualifies as interesting anymore, though, so I suggest ginger or tart apple.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Anything that works for pumpkin generally will work for butternut as well. That hardly qualifies as interesting anymore, though, so I suggest ginger or tart apple.
    What? You don't want a Pumpkin Spice Keyboard for Christmas?

Ginger sounds like a great idea and is something I already have on hand, I'll give that a try and let you know how it turns out.

Edit: Yes, it worked excellently. Ginger and Thyme!
    Last edited by Rilvor; 11-25-2014 at 08:48 PM.