Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    autogatos
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    This sounds like your pan is too hot. Try a lower heat setting the next time you make them.
    Thanks I will try that! I have a real problem with getting stove temps correct for some reason.

Weasyl
    Ween
    Quote Originally Posted by autogatos View Post
    Thanks I will try that! I have a real problem with getting stove temps correct for some reason.
    Whenever I'm cooking on the stovetop I normally use medium heat for most things unless I'm doing very specific things, i.e. low heat to roast garlic, or high heat for a stir fry.

Speaking of stir frys, veggie stir frys are a staple for my partner and I, partly because they're super cheap and easy and partly because they're really tasty with a bit of oyster sauce. Just put some sunflower or vegetable oil in a pan on high heat until the oil's hot, and then put in whatever chopped veggies you want. We like broccoli, thinly-sliced carrots, bell peppers, and especially celery. We also like to grate fresh ginger root in there. Once the vegetables are hot and starting to sweat a bit (but not soggy!), take the pan off the heat, and add oyster or soy sauce to taste. Serve over rice or noodles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ween View Post
    Whenever I'm cooking on the stovetop I normally use medium heat for most things unless I'm doing very specific things, i.e. low heat to roast garlic, or high heat for a stir fry..
    I feel like this warning needs to be posted on stovetops everywhere. Anytime my roommates have ever cooked, they feel they need to put the heat up to 8 or 9 and turn the kitchen into a Valdez oil spill. Please keep the heat down unless it's something specific! Your cooking ware, skin, tastebuds, and the stupid person who volunteered to keep the kitchen clean all year will thank you kindly.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I have old school gas stoves and ovens from the 70's so I always need to be careful with the heat settings

Weasyl
    autogatos
    Whenever I'm cooking on the stovetop I normally use medium heat for most things unless I'm doing very specific things, i.e. low heat to roast garlic, or high heat for a stir fry.

Speaking of stir frys, veggie stir frys are a staple for my partner and I, partly because they're super cheap and easy and partly because they're really tasty with a bit of oyster sauce. Just put some sunflower or vegetable oil in a pan on high heat until the oil's hot, and then put in whatever chopped veggies you want. We like broccoli, thinly-sliced carrots, bell peppers, and especially celery. We also like to grate fresh ginger root in there. Once the vegetables are hot and starting to sweat a bit (but not soggy!), take the pan off the heat, and add oyster or soy sauce to taste. Serve over rice or noodles.
    See, this is the issue I think I keep running into. I use medium heat most of the time (and recipes frequently call for it) but the medium heat setting on my stove seems to be too high or something? I have to turn it to mid-low to get the results I'm supposed to get on medium.

This is why I keep burning my pancakes I think. :[

Weasyl
    Ween
    See, this is the issue I think I keep running into. I use medium heat most of the time (and recipes frequently call for it) but the medium heat setting on my stove seems to be too high or something? I have to turn it to mid-low to get the results I'm supposed to get on medium.

This is why I keep burning my pancakes I think. :[
    Do you have a gas stove or a convection stove? The latter can be a bit inconsistent with how it heats things.

Weasyl
    autogatos
    Do you have a gas stove or a convection stove? The latter can be a bit inconsistent with how it heats things.
    Convection. I miss having a gas stove. So much easier to use.

Weasyl
    Ween
    Convection. I miss having a gas stove. So much easier to use.
    Me too. We are united in suffering.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I have been thinking of making ghormeh sabzi again, but I have been worn out from work I have to chop and process the ingredients to make it good for stew. It uses a lot of greens which is why I love making it so much.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    I like to cook Hot Pockets. Does that count?