Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

It's 2014, so what will be your first big project?

I know more than a few artists (myself included) always want to start the artistic year with a bang, so to kick off another 365 days of creativity and productivity, what do you guys have planned to work on first? Finishing up something you started last year? Revisiting some older work? Ambitious practice with something you suck at? Or are you just going to segue into it gradually this year? This isn't limited to visual artists by the way; if there are writers, musicians or crafters out there reading this, chime in as well!

Note: This should be considered after a New Years hangover to minimize confusion and frustration, as well as the possibility for a worse headache.

The funny thing is for me, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do first. I've got a large commission project I'm working on, but the rest of it feels like creative free reign. I know for a fact one thing I want to do will be a sort of "Draw This Again" where I go through my stuff that's older than two years, cringe a little, then decide what I want to redraw first.

I want to start making a line of paper miniatures available and I have a big oil painting to complete.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Well, technically, I already finished my first picture of the new year, shortly after it began.

But that's not a "big project."

In terms of new things, I guess I want to try to learn to make plushes. It's something I put off and put off last year, but I definitely want to start on it this year.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    I don't really have a project lined up or anything like that but there's always improving my art as it is, as well as trying to learn C# programming in Unity. That'll all be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    In terms of new things, I guess I want to try to learn to make plushes. It's something I put off and put off last year, but I definitely want to start on it this year.
    My wife makes soft toys that she sells at markets. Its actually really surprising how much extra cash it can generate. Not saying thats the sole reason, you need a love for it, but it is a nice incentive.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Begin working on my fiction, on both writing and visual. Bunch of characters designs, random short and dialogue here and there is more than enough to start writing the chapters already.

Oh, and finishing my commission sheet so I can start accepting it.

This year I'm really going to step back and try to focus on my traditional skills (since that's what most art colleges seem to prefer). I already soiled my new Christmas sketchbook with a few pages of gestures and anatomy sketches xD I want to do better with animal anatomy, and especially be able to draw humans.

For funsies, I want to try to learn a more 'painterly' digital style c: It just looks so much better and I want to break away from all of the cell stuff.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Begin working on my fiction, on both writing and visual. Bunch of characters designs, random short and dialogue here and there is more than enough to start writing the chapters already.

Oh, and finishing my commission sheet so I can start accepting it.
    Yeah, lots of this for me too; I have a headworld that has been developing and growing since '97 but I've only scratched it's surface with my art and writing. I'd like to change that in 2014. Good luck to with getting that off the ground this year!

Quote Originally Posted by PepperHead
    For funsies, I want to try to learn a more 'painterly' digital style c: It just looks so much better and I want to break away from all of the cell stuff.
    I'd like to actually get into digital to begin with, ha! I dabbled a little back in 2013 but it was hardly enough for me to make a finished piece from it. Painting (digital or traditional) is a great way to get a handle on form and values, so if you really get into it you may be surprised on how much it might improve the rest of your art as well.

I want to improve on my anatomy, make my poses more dramatic and figure out how to paint lineless without it taking ages to do.
    And non-visual arts related: I want to learn how to properly play my acoustic guitar and read notes, damn it! D:

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Continue learning everything I can, but I guess focus on painting, and landscapes/scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    I want to improve on my anatomy, make my poses more dramatic and figure out how to paint lineless without it taking ages to do.
    I think the secret/trick is that it simply does just take a long ass time to do. Not that I would know! xD

...We should conduct more research. :p