Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Submitting files?

Submitting files?

Hi, I've just started trying to upload my story on Weasyl but I'm having a pretty big issue with the written part of the submission. To be specific, check the link in the following post because apparently you need a post count of at least one to post links.

That one was in .rtf format. I've tried several other kinds (.docx, .doc and .txt), but with all of those the following error message popped up:

Whoops! Text submissions must be encoded in UTF-8.
    Can anyone help me sort this out please?

- - - Updated - - -

Link to the submission I've tried: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/308391/wolf-s-story-prologue-wolf-s-beginning

If you're using Word, save the file as .txt, and that should bring up a window titled "File Conversion." Select the third button ("Other Encoding"), and then select "Unicode (UTF-8)" from the menu to the right and click OK. That should take care of it.
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I believe, at this stage, you should stick with only .txt and .pdf file formats for uploads, or else use the Google Docs embed feature if you have a Google account. This is just due to currently questionable or non-existent compatibility with other file formats (especially things like .docx, which have a lot of behind the scenes information contained in them that's tough to translate to a website). You can follow PT's advice for getting the UTF-8 encoding on the .txt file, or if you want you can open up the document in Notepad and do a 'save as'; there should be a small drop-down menu in the file save window that says 'encoding' on it, from which you can select UTF-8. Someone else will have to let you know what to do if you're on a Mac.

If you want to use formatting like bolds or italics in your .txt document, you can do so using Markdown formatting. Hope this helps.

Weasyl
    mwalimu
    The problem I have with markdown formatting (which also applies to BBcode) is that it only works if you're viewing a story or document online. If I want to download a file and read it at my leisure, possibly on another device, what I see is the raw markdown (or BBcode) instead of the rendered text.

That's generally not a problem for things like journals or forums, since I nearly always read those online, but if I'm reading a 100K word novel or even a 10K word short story, the chances of my wanting to be able to download and read it offline are far greater. If anyone knows of a file browser that can render markdown or BBcode, please tell me about it.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Well... I think the issue is mostly just a software one. Internet browsers are designed to parse HTML and XML and some other things, but most of the common word processors aren't, so an HTML document when opened elsewhere retains the HTML formatting (all the <> and &nbsp and all that stuff). BBCode and Markdown, I'm sure, are the same sort of deal: only used in a few specific places, so folks at Windows, for example, don't see the need to incorporate something that automatically chooses between and reads all these conflicting formatting languages in Word. For the time being, you have to write things differently for the web than you do for other purposes. PDF is probably the best solution right now, since most web browsers can load PDF documents and the formatting remains the same no matter what you use to open it.

But I may not know what I'm talking about. I've dealt with HTML and LaTeX and some other such things, but I'm not much of a web guy. This is just my experience with these things.