Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Needlework-thread

Because grandma's hobbies are becoming popular again!

I checked the forum and found that there was no thread dedicated to needlework yet, be it cross-stitch, embroidery or other types of sewing.
    Which is why this thread needed to be made, obviously.

Feel free to share your finished works here, or link to cool patterns!

---

I'll kick the thread off with a link to a pretty cool cross-stitch designer I found recently:

Subversive Cross-stitch
    It's cross-stitch, only with witty sayings and swearing. What's not to like? :3c

I've been trying to learn embroidery so that I can do pretty eyes and details on plushies xD Eeks I'm far too afraid to post my practicing, but I am getting better. My main problem is keeping things close enough I guess, I'm nervous about poking into the other holes though xD

I will be stalking this thread and eventually adding things of my own, though! <3 I ordered some minky this weekend and hope to be making more plushies soon with some embroidery in them to share with the thread c:

Quote Originally Posted by PepperHead View Post
    I've been trying to learn embroidery so that I can do pretty eyes and details on plushies xD Eeks I'm far too afraid to post my practicing, but I am getting better. My main problem is keeping things close enough I guess, I'm nervous about poking into the other holes though xD

I will be stalking this thread and eventually adding things of my own, though! <3 I ordered some minky this weekend and hope to be making more plushies soon with some embroidery in them to share with the thread c:
    I've got to say, the few times that I did embroider something (pre-packaged kit with pattern) it ended up looking horrendous.
    Satin-stitches especially. But, practice makes perfect, no? :D

Personally, I'm more of a cross stitcher, though I'd be interested in seeing your plushies with embroidered detail!

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I love cross stitching! I'm fairly certain my technique is horrible; the backs of mine end up so lumpy. :[ I have an archaeopteryx I stitched next to a poem about angels, I'll have to dig it out of storage and photograph it.

I find it so soothing. It's a great time-killer when you're out and about and need to sit still for a few hours, too.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    I'd love to learn cross-stitch as well as embroidery.

For now I've only embroidered small things like eyes and noses on plush animals. I tried to do a Pinkie Pie cutie mark (A trio of balloons) on a plush once, frustrated me so much. It came out okay, but not as good as it could have been.

I bought myself a cross-stitch kit and haven't been able to decipher the instructions, heh. ^^;

I think the only thing I did learn before was that plastic canvas type of embroidery, back when I was little.

I do want to learn cross stitch, because it just seems so interesting to do. That, and my mom used to do it as well. ^^
    I suppose I should ask her about the kit I bought then. That never occurred to me until just now. >>;

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Cross-stitching is like pixel art before there was pixels. I can dig it.

I'm not any better with a needle than I am with a pen, unfortunately.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    If your back ends up lumpy, I am assuming you start with a knot, right? The technique I use is stitching in rows where possible and I fasten the beginning of my row under the first stitches I have made like so (image A). When I fasten off, I also run my needle through previously done stitches. I found that it tends to keep the back the neatest. c:
    Oooh hey, that would be much neater. Thank you! My methods of cross stitchery have pretty much been 'make it up as you go along'. >.> I will try that!
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Sonata
    I like to sew plushies and make simple objects. I want to move onto making my own clothes and cosplays, I just need to get my grabby paws on a sewing machine. Though, embroidery is something I would like to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    I like to sew plushies and make simple objects. I want to move onto making my own clothes and cosplays, I just need to get my grabby paws on a sewing machine. Though, embroidery is something I would like to learn.
    Ha, high-five for wanting a sewing-machine as well!
    With embroidery, you could always start small. I recall these Anchor Momentos-kits that can be stitched in like, 3h tops. They're a good start. c:
    Last edited by Hardrockangel; 01-02-2014 at 03:24 PM.