Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    I honestly don't really understand much of the outrage directed at Microsoft's new Windows release. Then again, I've only looked into it so much. Here's what I've gathered.

    Sure, having an interface adapted for mobile/touch devices on a desktop PC is a bit wonky, but the thing that confuses me is that people seem to think that this new "metro" interface essentially replaces the entire OS.

    It doesn't. It's essentially the new replacement for the Start Menu. The desktop's still there, perfectly accessible. The typical windows look and feel, the icons, the command prompt, Windows Explorer, all there. All the metro interface does is try to provide better ease-of-use.

    How well it does this, however, now that is the real mystery.

  2. #22
    I think it was announced that you won't be able to use any custom images as your desktop image on Windows 8, but I could be wrong.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    I think it was announced that you won't be able to use any custom images as your desktop image on Windows 8, but I could be wrong.
    That'd be pretty odd. Could be just a rumor, but who knows.

  4. #24
    Senior catwithpen's Avatar
    Weasyl
    WildOak
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    I know SAI only has a Windows version and I've heard Skype doesn't work well on Linux.
    I've never had any problems with Skype. SAI may or may not run in wine; I don't use SAI so I don't know for sure.

  5. #25
    Regular oneandonly's Avatar
    Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by catwithpen View Post
    I've never had any problems with Skype. SAI may or may not run in wine; I don't use SAI so I don't know for sure.
    Yeah, Skype runs pretty good. Don't get me started on Spotify though...

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by catwithpen View Post
    I've never had any problems with Skype. SAI may or may not run in wine; I don't use SAI so I don't know for sure.
    Thing about SAI is that it's pretty heavily reliant on pen pressure sensitivity, and Wine has no support for that. Which is rather unfortunate.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by mutsurf View Post
    Thing about SAI is that it's pretty heavily reliant on pen pressure sensitivity, and Wine has no support for that. Which is rather unfortunate.
    SAI specifies on its website that it's Windows-only.

    Also being as immersed in the indie scene as I am, I would be utterly shafted if I used anything but Windows because a lot of "indie tools" only support Windows with the exception of a few that support Flash or HTML5. I'm not even sure if MMF2 can run on anything but Windows and I'm currently trying to learn to make games in it.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  8. #28
    Junior darkdoomer's Avatar
    Weasyl
    darkdoomer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    frankishtan
    Posts
    12
    the most recent version of windows i use is Windows Server 2003 64-bit on my big PC. the other one being XP pro on my laptop yet any modern program or game run on it. thus; i don't think i'm ever going to install a new OS.

    yeah there's linux, for the fun. fun fact about linux : WinE can emulate photoshop very well, and tablet presure/sensitivity is naturally supported on any recent linux distro. it's faster, smoother then loading the Gimp.

    now. windows 8.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Removed_features
    hahahaha, holy shit.. man...

    only thing we can expect is the reactOS crew to open these windows already !

  9. #29
    Junior hypr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9
    As I posted in my blog there is a lot of options if people don't want to go the route of windows 8. I will probably skip 8, as there are other viable options to the new OS.

    Windows 7, ReactOS, various versions of Linux, Chrome OS, OSX86, etc If i wanted an OS that would look good on a tablet, I would use a tablet.

    Also a big thing is Steam, if it has issues working with Windows 8 or if the Steam Community rejects it then 8 will be a huge failure.
    Last edited by hypr; 10-12-2012 at 08:05 PM.

  10. #30
    Senior Brace's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Brace
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    142
    Microsoft seems to be moving towards a walled garden model for their software. Since Apple is doing the same, I expect Linux to gain popularity over time, but probably not past 20% of the market.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •