Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    Oh please, Microsoft does this all the time. Vista was shit, then they made 7, and before that, it was XP which was awesome for a decade, and before that, it was Windows Me which was also shit, it's just their typical good-shit-good-shit cycle.

    I might not like Microsoft very much but I'm not switching to Linux because I like for 99.9% of everything to actually support my OS. :V
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  2. #12
    Regular oneandonly's Avatar
    Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    Seems a few people want to go that route which is fine. I'm not planning on upgrading from 7 either. But suppose 8 is how Microsoft want to go? I've heard tablets and stuff are becoming more popular than desktops so maybe they will start ignoring the desktop and hardcore gamers.

    The other thing that might be worth thinking about are other sorts of users. I remember reading that Africa was going to be a target for Windows 8 because so many people were still on XP. Windows isn't exactly cheap and it'll also push people to get Microsoft Office so perhaps with that cost problem developing countries can push for Linux as they become more powerful. For example there's the BRICS group (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, which are meant to be emerging economies but really seems more like a big get-together for human rights abusers) that have formed a growing economic alliance. Those countries should grow and become more powerful and I remember hearing that Russia had plans to use open-source software for all government facilities. If that was expanded to the others because of price then that could be a major boost for Linux.
    But the full version of Windows 8 is only 40 dollars, which is pretty cheap compared to any other version of Windows ever. You also should know that quite a few people in Africa are using Windows 7 right now, but not legally.

  3. #13
    Regular Rakuen Growlithe's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    But the full version of Windows 8 is only 40 dollars, which is pretty cheap compared to any other version of Windows ever. You also should know that quite a few people in Africa are using Windows 7 right now, but not legally.
    That is quite cheap, though I doubt it includes Office.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

    Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    That is quite cheap, though I doubt it includes Office.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    But the full version of Windows 8 is only 40 dollars, which is pretty cheap compared to any other version of Windows ever. You also should know that quite a few people in Africa are using Windows 7 right now, but not legally.
    Forty dollars to upgrade. To buy it costs seventy dollars.

  5. #15
    Regular oneandonly's Avatar
    Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    Forty dollars to upgrade. To buy it costs seventy dollars.
    Doesn't really matter. Who doesn't already have at least XP to upgrade from.
    Last edited by oneandonly; 08-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    Doesn't really matter. Who doesn't already have at least XP to upgrade from.
    people who're building new computers.

  7. #17
    Why not use both?

    Once I get my gaming rig, I'm going to make that Windows only, and I'm going to use my current computer to run Ubuntu

  8. #18
    Premium User Neybulot's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Neybulot
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Texas
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    I might not like Microsoft very much but I'm not switching to Linux because I like for 99.9% of everything to actually support my OS. :V
    I mainly use Windows for gaming myself because of Steam, but now that Valve is making a push with Steam on Linux, it might give other developers the push to make Linux games and then I'd personally have no need for Windows. Just about everything I use on Windows has a Linux equivalent or can easily be run in WINE.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Neybulot View Post
    I mainly use Windows for gaming myself because of Steam, but now that Valve is making a push with Steam on Linux, it might give other developers the push to make Linux games and then I'd personally have no need for Windows. Just about everything I use on Windows has a Linux equivalent or can easily be run in WINE.
    I know SAI only has a Windows version and I've heard Skype doesn't work well on Linux.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  10. #20
    Regular oneandonly's Avatar
    Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Neybulot View Post
    I mainly use Windows for gaming myself because of Steam, but now that Valve is making a push with Steam on Linux, it might give other developers the push to make Linux games and then I'd personally have no need for Windows. Just about everything I use on Windows has a Linux equivalent or can easily be run in WINE.
    I make programs that use the .NET framework, and they don't fare well with Wine unfortunately. I'd love to use Mono to cross-compile, but their VB support is pretty ugly.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •