Windows 8 and Photoshop

Potentially stupid question here, as I'm not the most fluent with technology, but in the very near future I'll have to make the decision to purchase either the Windows or Apple version of the CS5 suite. Until the announcement of Windows 8, I was gung-ho for windows- never had a real problem, game quite a bit, was raised on 'em, and the price beats Apple by a long shot. My laptop is four years old this month and I'm planning on investing in a new desktop in the next year to run the Suite.

I guess my question is, will the tablet-esque app-based Windows 8 be able to run Photoshop and other high-powered programs competently? Will it be too much of a chore to open it from the 'old desktop mode' instead of the new home page? At this point I'm almost considering buying a new desktop and using Windows 7 instead (with which I have a little experience- my laptop still has Vista though, oh boy).

Stupid question #2: Can Linux/Ubuntu OS run the Windows version of the CS Suite? I have a couple friends back home who can help me learn the ropes of Linux if I need to.

Thanks!

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowkey View Post
    At this point I'm almost considering buying a new desktop and using Windows 7 instead (with which I have a little experience- my laptop still has Vista though, oh boy).
    I should just let you know this now. Windows 7 is basically Windows Vista, but properly done. There will be absolutely no pain in you using Windows 7.

caisses enregistreuses

The only issue customers might see is with document window transparency/flickering in Photoshop CS6 caused by video drivers. The drivers that ship with Windows 8 may not be the most recent available from the card vendors. See here to resolve this issue.

I recommend that customers make sure they have the lastest drivers from either AMD or nVidia. If you still have problems with the latest drivers, try setting the Advanced Settings for OpenGL Drawing/Graphic Card Processing in the Photoshop’s Preferences>Performance… dialog so that Drawing Mode is set to “Basic.”