Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    N/A

Windows 8 = boost for Linux?

I'd like to see Linux expand greatly as I think it's an important move for free and open access software and the entire open access concept (which is also a big topic in science publishing). I've been using both Linux and Windows on different systems, mainly keeping Windows around to play games but a Facebook link has raised my hopes that that might not be necessary in the future, all thanks to Microsoft.

By trying to be a tablet and desktop OS, Windows 8 has upset a lot of people, for example the executive vice president of game design from Blizzard, managing director of Valve and CEO of Stardock. So there's a lot of bad feeling about the new OS which could drive developers to Linux!

Adding to that discontent it seems Valve has found that it's Source engine runs faster using OpenGL, which is on Windows, Linux, Mac and smartphones, than Direct3D, which is exclusive to Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows
    With an Nvidia GTX 680, Intel i7-3930k, and 32GB of RAM, Windows 7 and DirectX, Left 4 Dead 2 maxes out at 270.6 fps. With the same hardware, but different software — Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenGL — L4D2 scores 315 fps, almost 20% faster than Windows.
    With all the web-based services around it's also becoming simpler for people to use any OS as they just need a browser. In fact the EU has forced Microsoft to offer different browsers. I'm not expecting a sudden increase in games for Linux or a sudden upsurge in popularity but knowing is half the battle.

If you haven't ever looked at Linux it might be the time to do that. Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 are both scheduled for release in October.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

I'm more likely to hermit windows 7 until nine comes out than switch to linux.

At the pace Windows is spitting out new OS' I'm going to side with Sinjo, I don't know much about Linux but I know people use it just as much as Windows and the Mac OS, but if game developers are considering making their games more suitable for Linux and steering away from Windows I won't really have a choice in the matter. :3

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Everyone knows you always skip a generation with Windows. Windows 7 was a relatively great release, so Windows 8 is going to suck in a manner formerly unknowable to man.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    Everyone knows you always skip a generation with Windows. Windows 7 was a relatively great release, so Windows 8 is going to suck in a manner formerly unknowable to man.
    In addition to that, Windows 8 is a stab at turning the PC into a closed platform. At least apparently it is.

Here's where I heard about it: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=82192

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    In addition to that, Windows 8 is a stab at turning the PC into a closed platform. At least apparently it is.

Here's where I heard about it: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=82192
    They're trying to 'apple' it. Which is upsetting. I chose windows for its freedom.

Weasyl
    oneandonly
    I've been running and messing around with the Windows To Go OS which is a windows 8 made to run on portable flash drives/USB hard drives, and I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed. Don't get me wrong, it performs well, but I'm talking about making apps for it. Not only have they made it so hard for the in home programmer to distribute applications, they are even blocking them from making accounts on the market. This may as well end it for me. I have always enjoyed Windows development, but they are trying to push too much at once, and the closed market idea is going to throw a lot of people, especially programmers, off the windows bandwagon. Oh well, they have had a nice run. Maybe they will make some money off those with ARM tablets.

Weasyl
    ChitterBox
    I'm with Sinjo mostly, though if 9 and onward tend to mimic what 8 does I may very well go back to Linux. I'm not too savvy but I'm tenacious enough to learn if I have to.

Weasyl
    Brace
    Linux has been getting steadily more viable, and Ubuntu really is the mainstream desktop distro at this point. Especially if you include the number for forks like Mint (I use Mint; don't hate me for my aesthetic choices ;_; ). I'm looking forward to seeing Linux push more into the mainstream with viable gaming. It has pretty much all the same benefits as OSX while also being an open platform capable of running on a wide range of hardware without extensive hacking. I really don't see why OSX is so beloved. It is basically just Pretty Looking Proprietary Unix Variant hyped up by people who love aesthetics too much. If we ever have a workers revolution, the mac users will be first against the wall.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    I'm more likely to hermit windows 7 until nine comes out than switch to linux.
    Seems a few people want to go that route which is fine. I'm not planning on upgrading from 7 either. But suppose 8 is how Microsoft want to go? I've heard tablets and stuff are becoming more popular than desktops so maybe they will start ignoring the desktop and hardcore gamers.

The other thing that might be worth thinking about are other sorts of users. I remember reading that Africa was going to be a target for Windows 8 because so many people were still on XP. Windows isn't exactly cheap and it'll also push people to get Microsoft Office so perhaps with that cost problem developing countries can push for Linux as they become more powerful. For example there's the BRICS group (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, which are meant to be emerging economies but really seems more like a big get-together for human rights abusers) that have formed a growing economic alliance. Those countries should grow and become more powerful and I remember hearing that Russia had plans to use open-source software for all government facilities. If that was expanded to the others because of price then that could be a major boost for Linux.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/