Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Howdy from a physics student

Hey all, I'm new to this side of the Internet. I've been lurking for about a year or so, but have only recently been active (since MFF'13). How is everyone doing?

In RL I'm a grad student in physics, doing computational stuff and otherwise goofing off by doing more programming! I also enjoy reading various abstract areas of math and computer science. Anyone share a similar hobby?

Welcome to the forums Fylwind,

As for programming a friend of mine tried to get me into c++ and lua awhile back, but that didn't last long with me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jargis227 View Post
    As for programming a friend of mine tried to get me into c++ and lua awhile back, but that didn't last long with me...
    Did you try doing a project with it? Programming languages are a lot more fun when when you get to do your own pet project with it!

Did some stuff and learnt some of the basics with him, ended up stopping because of other things I was interested in.

We fiddled in Valve SDK primarily (using HL2 and alienswarm.) and did some other stuff too. Never really committed to modding the games or anything like that- but made and did small stuff just for fun.

If you're interested the valve SDK has a page on programming LINK
    (there's other skill-sets too on the index page: level design, modelling, etc)

Ah game programming! I kinda wanted to do that half a year ago but (a) it was a lot of game/SDK-specific stuff to learn even coming from a programming background (b) making a game takes some serious effort (often collaborative), and involve a lot more skills than just coding. So I ended up dropping the idea, and went on to pursue other things. It's not that I don't like it though! I love level designing, I just don't have the time for it. :\ (And too many "other" things to do!)

Hey 'Wind..
    C# here. C++ always looked too funny for me, making it difficult to concentrate.

Quote Originally Posted by coyttl View Post
    C# here. C++ always looked too funny for me, making it difficult to concentrate.
    Hullo coytti! I've messed around a bit with C# when I was much younger, but I haven't really touched it for a long time and lost track of the changes they did to the language.

My dad insisted that I learn C++ even though I didn't want to, but here I am and now I actually do C++ stuff (go figure). I like to think of C++ as this "giant hulking monstrosity": it's incredibly complicated, huge (a standard that has like over 1000 pages), and in some sense "inelegant" from an aesthetic point of view. Mind you, it's also really powerful, but shooting yourself in the foot in C++ is as easy as it was in C. Alas, I have been "corrupted" by the exposure to functional programming languages (or perhaps "enlightened"?) so this is really just my biased opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Fylwind View Post
    Hullo coytti! I've messed around a bit with C# when I was much younger, but I haven't really touched it for a long time and lost track of the changes they did to the language.

My dad insisted that I learn C++ even though I didn't want to, but here I am and now I actually do C++ stuff (go figure). I like to think of C++ as this "giant hulking monstrosity": it's incredibly complicated, huge (a standard that has like over 1000 pages), and in some sense "inelegant" from an aesthetic point of view. Mind you, it's also really powerful, but shooting yourself in the foot in C++ is as easy as it was in C. Alas, I have been "corrupted" by the exposure to functional programming languages (or perhaps "enlightened"?) so this is really just my biased opinion!
    I like to work more on UI - user experience stuff than the detailed behind the scenes work, which is a big reason why C++ did catch on for me. In C#, I could design a form, web page, or interface faster than in C++. And, luckily for me, knowing C# made it *much* easier to jump over to Java for Android programming. Something I'm quite thankful for now..!

Quote Originally Posted by coyttl View Post
    I like to work more on UI - user experience stuff than the detailed behind the scenes work, which is a big reason why C++ did catch on for me. In C#, I could design a form, web page, or interface faster than in C++. And, luckily for me, knowing C# made it *much* easier to jump over to Java for Android programming. Something I'm quite thankful for now..!
    UIs in C++ is kind of a big mess because there is no unified platform, unlike C# which has .NET/Mono to rely on. Off the top of the head there's Qt, GTK, wxWidgets being the cross-platform ones, while each OS has its own system-specific flavor. I know Qt has a pretty good IDE with a UI designer, so you could look into that if you ever feel like messing with it! Cross-platform GUI libraries are great for maximum flexibility, but they often lack the "native feel" to it (Qt is probably the best at imitating the native feel).

Nowadays though, I enjoy writing command-line programs because it means I can spend less time thinking about the UI!

UIs in C++ is kind of a big mess because there is no unified platform, unlike C# which has .NET/Mono to rely on. Off the top of the head there's Qt, GTK, wxWidgets being the cross-platform ones, while each OS has its own system-specific flavor. I know Qt has a pretty good IDE with a UI designer, so you could look into that if you ever feel like messing with it! Cross-platform GUI libraries are great for maximum flexibility, but they often lack the "native feel" to it (Qt is probably the best at imitating the native feel).
    Yup! I've played with GTK before (loong ago.. over 10 years now, I think!) And, while I haven't messed with QT at all, our company makes a UI tester with it, so I have seen it in action.

Nowadays though, I enjoy writing command-line programs because it means I can spend less time thinking about the UI!
    Wimp!