Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Story of Your Username

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Weasyl
    Tiger

Story of Your Username

I've always been curious about things such as this. So let's begin, then, how did you come up with your username?

I was 12 years old on Neopets creating a new username. I was watching TV and there were tigers on it, so I made my account "tigermaster**" (don't play anymore, no need to contact me about it). Joined the Neoboards, then a chat group, and Tigermaster** became shortened to Tiger. I made a tiger fursona wearing a tie, thus I got my full nickname, Tiger In A Tie.

Let's hear some more!

"Gneechees" are creatures in Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series which are attracted to magic. You can only see them out of the corner of your eye, but when you turn to look at them, there's nothing there. A friend of mine in high school gave me the nickname, presumably for my tendency to show up unexpectedly, and leave just as unexpectedly.

-The Gneech

Weasyl
    Levi
    I stole from myself. A few years ago, I wrote a novel about a werewolf and needed a name. The protagonist was similar to me in several ways, so I gave him the same first name that I would have been called had parents not decided on something else. The "wol" in my character's surname was a reference to his werewolf nature.

Eventually I decided I liked the name so much that I started using it elsewhere.

On here, though, I dropped the surname.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Fun fact: The first username I used on the Internet was Katz_Genis, back in 2001 on Runescape. It still exists and holds a lot of a value to me since I spent a good eight years playing that game, learned most of my English there and also made my first friend on a day of July in Falador's west bank in World 7. katz_genis@hotmail.com is also my email, it's over a decade old and I still use it everyday.

Between 2004-2005, I was looking for a new nickname so I juggled around a bit. Used Dark_Lloyd64 for a bit before settling on Sotark for a while (as you can guess, Tales of Symphonia is awesome), but in 2005 I was working on a website for a school project sotark was already taken so I had to find something new. By that time, I had started watching Naruto so I came up with Ibuuyk, which is Kyuubi backwards and it's been my main nickname ever since. I mean sure around 2006-2008 while playing some games, I had already made an account with Ibuuyk on some games but they either got hacked or I forgot the password and didn't set up recovery questions, so I use either a Baten Kaitos-related username or Kushinada on 'em. Y'see, by that time I had gotten more experience in the universe of anime, so I remembered that as a kid, I had watched something awesome called Blue Seed but since my memories of it were a little foggy, I thought Kushinada was the guy so I went with it. It was quite a while before I realized Kushinada was the girl, so on Ubisoft and Ensemble Studios' games, I'm a girl

Weasyl
    akirablaze
    Mine came from a story I was writing a couple of years back while I was in college, I never really bothered much with the internet before then but even since then the name Akira Blaze just stuck. Before anyone asks no it has nothing to do with the anime Akira and I never even knew it existed when I came up with the name. Although it was convenient as when i looked up the name Akira it turns out it meant "Bright" or "Shining" anyway, lucky fit for me and rather fitting for I dragon I'd say.

Weasyl
    Rico
    I was grasping at straws for names that sound like my IRL name but wasn't exactly that. Came up with Rico. I go by a few other names but this is just my 'sonas name. It's also great because I've got a whole skit with my fursuit about Rico's Pizza (familiar to those who watch Nightvale probably).

Oddly enough, my mother had given one of my dogs the nickname 'Pepperhead' xD I loved the ring to it, and made a new account on dA that was to be like comics and stuff of her and my other dogs. That idea is kind of stupid now that I say it, but long story short, the name grew on me and I absolutely love it <3

My old username shortened to 'dragon', and there are a ton of dragon usernames out there... but not too many Peppers c:

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    Matt
    I stumbled across my birth certificate once and was all ,"Oh." Then I signed up here.

I've had a bunch of nicknames other places, mostly due to the fact that I don't really care what my name is and I just kind of type in what comes to mind when I sign up. But I figured if I was going to be here, I would want to stick around and invest a bit, so I just used my actual name. I don't have an alternate identity or an online presence I want to index, so I have no reason not to.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

In 2003, I simply put two completely random words together and it just stuck.

i'm a male lion, but i have a girl's name?

i'm not remotely transgendered in real life. being 6ft7, covered in unwanted hair and deep voiced makes that fairly difficult, and even if i weren't i don't harbour any feelings towards being female either. but i do feel as though gender roles need to be much less set in stone in the world. it sometimes gives me a certain warmth when people describe me as being effeminate or something to the same effect.

male lion signifies my real life masculinity, but the name just muddies things i suppose. not sure if i even understand it.

it's also just a really nice and peaceful word, and the name of john coltrane's first wife.