A proper, site-supported way to import contacts from other sites...

It would be nice if we could bring our contact lists via copy/paste into some tool that checks it against the weasyl user list for matches.

Allow users to opt-in to providing their user names on other sites so it's easier to find friends who have moved over... the SOFT site is a makeshift solution to something that this site could do much better and more visibly.

Regardless, it would be nice to have a way of showing contact points like Email/IB/SoFurry/Tumblr/Twitter/FA and other services that we can select from a list and provide our information for that point of contact so that next you can offer something resembling a migration check-tool to see if there are users here on your site that may have been followed on other sites.. I maintain the opinion that having something here on Weasyl which performs this functionality would make users a hell of a lot more interested in coming over to stay, making this their primary site, if they could find others they already know more easily.

Ultimately, if I could copy/paste my watchlist and receive notices when a user offers their username from other sites so I have the option to watch them here, that would be pretty damned awesome -- having to watch journals from all sites all the time like a hawk for people migrating is a total pain in the ass.

Put on the boxing gloves and get in the ring already! Start making it easier for users to find people they already know so they don't have to find every last person slowly and manually.

--Spottycat--

Weasyl
    akirablaze
    Seems like a pretty good idea, although I think it'd more likely have to search using contact details, after all many people on one website won't carry their username over to another, either because the one they originally wanted is taken or they just felt like a change.

Still this is certainly an idea i'd be interested in seeing!

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Blaze View Post
    Seems like a pretty good idea, although I think it'd more likely have to search using contact details, after all many people on one website won't carry their username over to another, either because the one they originally wanted is taken or they just felt like a change.

Still this is certainly an idea i'd be interested in seeing!
    Yeah. The general idea is User: "Bob" signs up here on Weasyl. They edit their contact info and include information for Site: "Zombo" as "Bobert". Then when User: "Fred" shows up, who used to be on "Zombo" and is bringing their contact list over from Zombo to check against known contacts on Weasyl, if they happen to have "Bobert" from "Zombo" on their list which they're checking against, they would be notified that user "Bob" here on Weasyl is indeed "Bobert" and would be given the opportunity to follow them on here.

When "Fred" wants to import any contact list, he would just copy/paste it into a box, say which site it was from and it would automatically check the names against people who have volunteered their known usernames on other sites - optimally providing quick and easy buttons to follow or friend them on weasyl.

This also provides the awesome bonus of allowing people to simply not state who they are if they wish to remain anonymous for some reason - so it's entirely voluntary. However, by this feature being included on the site directly, it improves the visibility and convenience to such a high degree that it would be silly for users to not fill out their information if they wish to be found.

Weasyl
    akirablaze
    Ah I see, In that case I certainly approve of this! Although the technicalities of coding such a thing will likely hold it back, as coding always seems to do on things xD