Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Altivo

Google drive linkage not working?

The instructions in Help for embedding from Google Docs are clearly out of date. The menus and choices described there no longer exist.

While there is a "Sharing..." option for documents, and it is possible to set that for "Share to web" and get a URL that will allow anyone to view the document, all attempts I make to get Weasyl to accept that link lead to this error message:

Whoops! An unexpected error occurred and your request could not be fully processed.

That's really not very helpful, guys. I'm left with no idea whether I've done something wrong, Google has somehow failed to deliver, or Weasyl itself has an internal issue. It does, however, appear that nothing I've posted this way has actually made it through.

Here is the link for sharing provided by Google drive as of today:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwA...it?usp=sharing

Accepting formatted text, which is really essential for serious writing, poetry, and so forth, would be far better done by taking HTML, or RTF, or some other widely accepted standard. Google is prickly at best, and can be very hostile to anything unusual (such as the oft seen issues about "real name" vs. any sort of pseudonym.)
    Last edited by Altivo; 12-15-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add link to submission

Weasyl
    Levi
    This is strange, because I wanted to experiment with this method of uploading, and I was able to follow the directions provided in the tutorial without difficulty. So clearly, the menus and choices provided in the tutorial still do exist, as I was able to access them last night (and again two minutes ago when I checked a document on there).

The difference is you were trying to publish a PDF file and I was publishing a .doc file. I checked again using a random PDF I uploaded to Drive, and the option to publish to the web did not exist in that document. Therefore, the limitation is on Google's end and it is not the fault of Weasyl. Their tutorial is fine. It sounds to me like you're asking it to do something it was not designed to do.

Whether or not it should be designed to accept that as well is another matter entirely. I happen to think they should, and the lack of literature support is something of a hindrance in the use of this site.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Weasyl
    Altivo
    You'd be right except that the Help page on Weasyl does say that PDF documents are supported, and gives a slightly different sequence of steps which I did follow.

I went back and tried to submit a different document, one that is NOT in PDF format but is a regular Google Doc text document. That one gets the same error message, whether I try to submit it using the access URL from Google or the embed link provided by Google.

Link to the second document, published to the web as instructed by the Weasyl Help page:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...U8nbWLjKPM/pub

Same error message as before from Weasyl:

Whoops! An unexpected error occurred and your request could not be fully processed.

However, I see that in this case, the story is in fact published on Weasyl in spite of the vague error message. The PDF story was not published at all, no matter what I tried.
    Last edited by Altivo; 12-15-2013 at 08:09 PM.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    error reporting for google drive should be improved now, and some bugs have been fixed. the "unexpected error" message only occurs when there's nothing else that the server can report back to the client. rest assured that the error is logged for us, but the information available wouldn't be useful for non-developers.

- - - Updated - - -

actually, i just had a thought on how to improve error reporting further. will be implemented later today.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    aaand done. error reporting is much better now.

Weasyl
    Altivo
    Or at least error reporting is different.

I just submitted another short story excerpt, again using a document from Google Docs.

I still get the same error message, but this time there's some code below it:

request-id: babcc2920ab54d9691847062a870f67a-sP0kQbA0

The story is in fact submitted and does appear in my submissions. However, the thumbnail image I provided has not been attached. This happened before and I was able to open the story, choose "Edit thumbnail" and re-upload the thumbnail. The image file itself was OK when I used it for "A Close Port of Call" but now I keep getting those "Whoops!" error messages when I try to attach it to this new submission, "Lost and Found."

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    try now. also, please be sure to post the request id for any errors you encounter; it makes it tons easier to debug.

Weasyl
    Altivo
    Same error message again.

request-id: 99ba2f67014e4f7c8716204c921b6314-DDT0-zqy

Sequence of steps:

1. Open submission "Lost and Found" by clicking the thumbnail on my submission page.

2. Scroll down to where the statistics and management options are visible. (It would be nice to have these at the top, I think, rather than the bottom.)

3. Click "Edit submission thumbnail"

4. New screen shows no images, just the word "image" with message below it "Click and drag to choose a thumbnail..." I can't figure out what this means. Click what? Drag what? Where to put it? I use Linux and Firefox. Tried dragging the icon/image from the desktop file manager onto the Firefox window, but that just opens the image in Firefox, totally separate from the Weasyl tab. So I click the "upload" button. A prompt appears asking me to select a file "No file selected." I click that and get a file dialog that lets me select the desired file and click "open".

5. The file name now appears in the prompt. I click upload again but nothing seems to happen. I click "continue" and after a bit of hesitation, I'm back at the "Whoops!" generic error message, with the requiest-id I supplied above.

Note that the thumbnail file selected is the exact same one used for the story "A Close Port of Call" which was successfully installed using this same sequence of steps. I also attached a thumbnail to the other story in my submssions, "Catch Me if You Can" by using the same technique with a different image file.l Both of these actions were done before you said you had made changes here.

The same thumbnail images were requested on the original upload of these submissions, but always failed to be attached in the original processs. Instead, I get a "generic" image apparently supplied by Weasyl as a default rather then the custom image I've supplied.
    Last edited by Altivo; 12-17-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added details

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    ah, i see the issue now—future uploads should be unaffected, but the submissions you made previously are still in an inconsistent state. i'll have to go through and fix some stuff on disk, and it'll be fine. will post when it's complete.

- - - Updated - - -

yep, looks like it's fixed. i was able to set the submission cover image and thumbnail. sorry about the inconvenience!

Weasyl
    Altivo
    I'll try a new upload later today and let you know what happens. I have lots I can share, once the warts are removed from the procedure.

OK, went back to "Lost and Found" and was able to set the thumbnail and cover image appropriately. Thanks.

I will upload yet another piece later and see if I can set those two images at the same time I make the submission, rather than having to go back and do them afterwards.
    Last edited by Altivo; 12-17-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added information.